PDA

View Full Version : XC90 Headlight Spray Nozzles

pbordonaro
Jan 5th, 2006, 19:51
Can the headlight spray nozzles be turned off by removing a fuse?

They are not necessary when driving in the city but consume a whole lot of washer fluid needlessly.

Peter Milnes
Jan 6th, 2006, 02:41
If you seem to use a lot of washer fluid it is because your windscreen is getting very dirty when driving in the city. Consequently the headlamp lenses will also get very dirty, hence the operation of the headlight wash/wipe system when vehicle has engine running and windscreen wash/wipe selected. Your car should have a large washer fluid reservoir (my 945 has over half a gallon capacity to run windscreen, tailgate and headlamp wash/wipe) so don't lose any sleep over it, just be grateful that your windows and lights are crystal clear when you are driving. It is only when the wash function is selected that the headlamp wash/wipe comes into operation.

All the best, Peter.

perussell
Jan 6th, 2006, 16:37
Having experienced the same problems myself there are 2 things to be aware of
(1) if you just pull the washer stalk towards you quickly and let go the windscreen will receive a quick jet of water which is often enough to clean the screen but the headlight washers are not activated unless you hold the stalk back for more than about a second
(2) I refilled the bottle last week when the 'refill' warning came on and could only get about 4 litres into a 6.5 lite bottle. When I checked the handbook to find the capacity I also noticed a piece which suggested that below a certain level (2 L I think) the headlamp washers are de-activated anyway so should conserve your fluid as the bottle empties.

Tim2
Jan 11th, 2006, 07:39
Seeing as your talking about headlight washers on XC90 - anyone had problem of lost headlight washer covers? I have now replaced mine 4 times, Volvo claims must be vandals but it has now happened in location where vandalism was not possible...
Tim

tj101c70
Jan 12th, 2006, 21:28
Tim,, no,, am on my 4th XC90, and not had a problem with any of them,, strange !!!

Tim

DCO
Jan 14th, 2006, 11:48
Seeing as your talking about headlight washers on XC90 - anyone had problem of lost headlight washer covers? I have now replaced mine 4 times, Volvo claims must be vandals but it has now happened in location where vandalism was not possible...
Tim
Hi,
I just wondered how you wash your XC90? Are they getting loosened by a jet wash or removed by a car wash? Just a thought!

Tim2
Jan 24th, 2006, 12:32
Been very careful with washing and only ever user a spayer - no rollers or machines.

Stevie C
Aug 17th, 2009, 12:29
Hi,

I lost one whilst driving around the M25. Where did you get a replacement from? I don't wash it very often so I doubt it is related to this.

My XC90 is an Ocean Race model and the only partts I've seen are in primer only so I'd have to get it sprayed. All advice appreciated.

Coconut
Sep 4th, 2009, 22:36
According to the Owners Manual of my 08 plate 90 SE Lux :

"Windscreen / Headlamp washer : Move the stalk switch toward the steering wheel to start the windscreen and headlamp washers. The wipers will make several more sweeps once the stalk switch is released."

This is then followed by :

"High pressure headlamp washing*: High pressure headlamp washing consumes a large quantity of washer fluid. To save fluid, the headlamps are only washed every fifth wash cycle ( within a 10 minute period ). When 10 minutes have elapsed following the latest windscreen washing, the headlamps are once again washed with high-pressure with the first windscreen washing."

It then goes on to say :
"Turn the stalk switch toward the steering wheel to wash the windscreen only."

... and finally :
"Reduced Washing : If only approx. 1 litre of washer fluid remains in the reservoir, the supply to the headlamps and rear window is cut off. This is in order to prioritise visibility through the windscreen."

If I am reading the above correctly, then there is a High Pressure headlamp wash option that will have been specified / fitted to some XC90's, over and above the "standard" headlamp wash.

If you have this option ( I don't appear to have it ) then it should be possible to wash the windscreen only by rotating the stalk switch towards you, instead of pulling it towards you - which washes both the windscreen and headlamps. :thumbs_up:

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d129/coconut11/Coconut1.jpg

RoscoMac
Sep 5th, 2009, 23:43
I was actually beginning to think my 90 had a leak in the screenwash system as it seems to go through wash at a horrendous rate. My s70 (with headlamp wash) can go weeks without neeidng a top up, but the xc90, seems to need topped up every couple of weeks. Perhaps a much smaller reservoir, or maybe the headlamp skoosh uses a lot more solution than wipers.

R.

NorfolkSpudley
Jan 22nd, 2011, 15:17
New to this site, so forgive me if this topic is covered elsewhere...within the last week the headlight washers on my '93 model XC90 have stopped working. All other wiper/washer combinations work fine. I have checked the fuse and relay, both fine. The washer nozzles can be pulled manually from the bumper, so they're not seized. Anyone have any ideas? All advice gratefully received... thanks!

ncmurray
Jan 25th, 2011, 11:11
Could you be running low on washer fluid? I found that when the warning light came on about putting some more washer fluid in, the headlamp washers didn't function until I topped it up.

paulodipoggio
Jun 5th, 2011, 14:06
Tim
One of my covers has just come off after gentle jet washing and sponge - broken one of the palstic clips.
Other than dealer where did you get yours from and how easy to DIY?
Looks like you need to take the assembly out/apart to clip the new one back on?
Any help appreciated
Thanks

Darlo
Jun 5th, 2011, 22:09
I lost one of my headlamp washer covers and after a bit of searching it seems to be a fiarly common problem... not sure what caused it to happen as only wash by hand.

The replacements come in primer so you'll need to get it re-sprayed... my friendly local independent sorted it all for me after I got the part sent to me from Volvo in Swansea - think its called FLF or something similar, the guy from the parts department is registered on this forum.

paulodipoggio
Jun 8th, 2011, 00:11
I lost one of my headlamp washer covers and after a bit of searching it seems to be a fiarly common problem... not sure what caused it to happen as only wash by hand.

The replacements come in primer so you'll need to get it re-sprayed... my friendly local independent sorted it all for me after I got the part sent to me from Volvo in Swansea - think its called FLF or something similar, the guy from the parts department is registered on this forum.

I've taken a photo of the part number and duck taped up the fixing - only done a few miles so far but for as long as I can delay the inevitable .....!
Thanks for your advice though

pandabear
May 11th, 2013, 10:02
I have an 06 XC90 and was missing headlight washer covers was sent replacements from Volvo but looking at the connections I cannot see how they fit. Has the design of the connection been changed since 06 ?
PB

BenjiT
Sep 17th, 2013, 09:24
Hi there

Piggy back time. I am also having headlight washer issues. Drivers side sprays, passenger doesnt on my 03 xc90. This is coupled with rear washer lack of fluid. Checked rear, no perishing or uncoupled pipe.

Questions are:

1) are they from the same pump?

2) can the headligjt washer be got at to clean/ unblock?

3) is there a wsy of unblocking or clearing crud from these pipes?

Thanks in advance

Ben

BestGear
Sep 21st, 2013, 07:29
Hi there

Piggy back time. I am also having headlight washer issues. Drivers side sprays, passenger doesnt on my 03 xc90. This is coupled with rear washer lack of fluid. Checked rear, no perishing or uncoupled pipe.

Ben

Hi

I think you will find it the headlamp pump.... I had the same and changed the jet assembly as only one worked but it turned out the pump just did not have enough pressure...

At least its an easy part to change.

David