PDA

View Full Version : First impressions

Chris_B
Jan 6th, 2006, 17:32
Hi there, first time so please be gentle,
Last month I bought a 2004 XC90 D5SE Geartronic to join a trusty 850 estate. Within 24 hours of getting the XC90 I was off on a three day 1500 mile round trip through France which was a good opportunity to get aquainted.
The car felt very reassured on the motorways, dealing with everything from freezing fog to a flat out dash for the ferry on the way back. I was pleasantly surprised by the performance with no evidence of the dreaded pull-away lag that seems to aflict some on this board. The economy nose-dived when pushing on, but seems to be around 28mpg day-to-day not unreasonable for a heavy auto I suppose
There have been a couple of niggles so far:
-CD changer has been replaced as it was not working when I collected the car
-The rear park assist has just stopped working with the message "rear park assist service required" any ideas?
-Rear-most head rest cover worn through at the back. This looks like a design fault where it rubs when the seat is folded, and one that I'm told Volvo are aware of, as a replacement is a reasonable £30 fitted.
-Braking distances seem long compared to an "ordinary car". Obviously its weight contributes but the last service notes suggest new discs and pads at the next service (which will be 36K)
Overall I am delighted with the XC90 and compared to the alternative prospect of a people carrier (I've got 3 kids) it has to be about the best choice for the money in my opinion.

Uselesshippy
Nov 16th, 2011, 19:53
sounds like fun

Uselesshippy
Nov 16th, 2011, 19:53
very nearly there

bluey_xc90
Nov 17th, 2011, 08:43
-Braking distances seem long compared to an "ordinary car". Obviously its weight contributes but the last service notes suggest new discs and pads at the next service (which will be 36K)
Overall I am delighted with the XC90 and compared to the alternative prospect of a people carrier (I've got 3 kids) it has to be about the best choice for the money in my opinion.[/QUOTE]

On the braking distances I massively improved them on my 2004 and the feel of the brake by replacing the flexible rubber brake lines with steel braided ones about 18 months ago. Over time the rubber gives a bit as it degrades after 5 or so years and is not as efficient at transmitting the braking force - by replacing the lines and flushing with new brake fluid it was transformed. Doing this when you have new pads and discs put on should mean that it brakes like a new car again.