PDA

View Full Version : Has the V40 been posted yet?

gkaloy10
Feb 28th, 2012, 20:20
If not, here it is

http://www.topgear.com/uk/photos/volvo-v40-new-pictures-2012-28-2

looks great.

IanLD
Feb 28th, 2012, 20:42
Hmmm....

Looks small to me. I'm already finding the V50 quite a lot smaller and less convenient than my Saab 900 was, but I knew it was a smaller car.

This is going to be even less practical and at the moment I prefer the look of the V50.

Hope it sells well though. I've already had enough questions asking if Volvo are going to be the next manufacturer to go under after my last two cars being a Rover, then the Saab!

v40bart
Feb 28th, 2012, 20:46
Tiny! Looks like a C30 with 5 doors...

Axionknight
Feb 28th, 2012, 20:52
Tiny! Looks like a C30 with 5 doors...

Considering its to go up against the A3 sportback and 5 door 1 series and Golf...... I think thats the point.....

kebab10
Feb 28th, 2012, 21:25
Got sent an email from Volvo with details about it and lots of pictures. looks okay, but we shall see.

MikeLB
Mar 2nd, 2012, 23:01
Hopefully they will do an XC40 version, that would be nice and dinky!

SiRS2000
Mar 3rd, 2012, 10:21
Hope it sells well though. I've already had enough questions asking if Volvo are going to be the next manufacturer to go under after my last two cars being a Rover, then the Saab!

You sir are a bad omen please sell you Volvo now., Only kidding.

I do like inside and out A lot better looking than the focus. I hope it sells well for Volvo, could really do with a new strong seller.

Not big enough for me as the family’s main car we just get buy with the V50, but as a 2nd car for the wife then yes I think we would have but she seems content on swapping her ford fusion for the B-Max due to the funny pillar-less doors it has, although for two small children I can see the practicality.

iandonnadnjess
Mar 3rd, 2012, 13:24
oh yes i think ive just seen my next new volvo Mmm

TurboZutek
Mar 3rd, 2012, 13:33
I wonder, is the front badge on modern Volvo's big and goofy enough looking?

I'm holding out until it's six metres in size with MS Comic Sans font. Should only be a few months...

colinstone
Mar 3rd, 2012, 21:16
>A lot better looking than the focus.

Should be at 50% more!!!!!

Agree 5 door C30. If it is shorter than V50 at 4522mm, and C30/Golf/A3 are all around 4250mm, then it ain't going to be very big inside. The steep tailgate will also cut down room. Starting price at £19500 it better be well equipped.
V50 makes a lot of sense as a bigger premium Golf/A3 - and amazingly 2" shorter than an Octavia.

Is it still on an old Focus platform?
VW/Audi will be on a new platform this summer.

SiRS2000
Mar 4th, 2012, 06:54
>A lot better looking than the focus.

Tottally agree that the V40 looks better than the new focus, the new hatch is a mess although the estate looks a lot better.

To be honest if the V40 is built on the old Focus S40/V50/C30/C70 platform nothing really wrong with that as it is a cracker anyway.

MacV50
Mar 4th, 2012, 18:25

Yes, the platform has been around for a while but it's been updated and is essentially the same as the one in then new Focus so will be around for a few years yet.

Welton
Mar 5th, 2012, 09:16
The dash looks a bit cheap and tacky to me.

So the 'S40' is now a hatchback called the 'V40' does that mean there'll be no estate version? you'll need a V60 for that?

EricMe
Mar 5th, 2012, 09:48
Since the 'V' represents (Swedish word for) Versatile, one might argue that it's equally applicable to a hatchback as to an estate. Perhaps someone could tell us what the Swedish for 'hatchback' is ? But I guess you would need a V60 if you want an estate car of that size.

froggyted
Mar 6th, 2012, 00:37
Very nice, it looks like an absolute winner, and a hatcback is more versatile than a boot anyway. The only reservation i have is that it looks like rear headroom could be even worse than the current saloon, which is only just acceptable.

tayandre
Mar 6th, 2012, 12:39
Just watched the launch, looks rather impressive and think I want one.

Some interesting new features, City Safety works up to 50kmh, paedestrian airbags for the exterior - although not sure if that's std or optional. The petrol engine range is rather confusing, depending on the market you can get the T4 and T5 as 2.0 4-cyl or 2.5 5-cyl. Guess Europe will be 4-cyl only as the 5-cyl won't meet emissions regs, shame.

5-cyl diesels here for the moment in the usual D3 and D4. Interestingly the autos are faster but thirstier than the manuals.

Also impressive is you can get all the big car features in a small package which is just what I want. So adaptive cruise, self parking, multimedia, BLIS etc all available as options. BLIS is now radar based rather than camera and also helps with the park assist to monitor side traffic when reversing.

Anyone want to buy a well loved C30 later in the year?