PDA

View Full Version : XC60 2010 towbar electrics

tubbness
Apr 14th, 2012, 14:41
hi there, i am looking to fit/have fitted a detacheable towball towbar, although i havn't decided which make yet. can anyone be so kind as to inform me whether that if by not using the type specific electrical wiring loom and opting instead to splice in the towbar cables into the vehicle wiring loom, i may invalidate what remains of my vehicle warranty, also am i taking on too much by opting to fit and connect up a towbar myself, i would class myself as an above average vehicle :lightbulb:diyer. any help would be very much appreciated, thank you.

RSmith
Apr 15th, 2012, 20:46
I asked much the same question, one reply that stopped me was that the processor of the car monitors the voltage\current being drawn by the lights and when it recognises an out of normal reading it generates error messages. When the correct socket and harnes are fitted the software is also updated to disable the rear parking sensors and allow the diagnostics to take account of the additional lighting when attached.

It may all be a load of bull, but is it worth the risk if your vehicle is so new.

simonjedrake
Apr 15th, 2012, 21:59
hi there, i am looking to fit/have fitted a detacheable towball towbar, although i havn't decided which make yet. can anyone be so kind as to inform me whether that if by not using the type specific electrical wiring loom and opting instead to splice in the towbar cables into the vehicle wiring loom, i may invalidate what remains of my vehicle warranty, also am i taking on too much by opting to fit and connect up a towbar myself, i would class myself as an above average vehicle :lightbulb:diyer. any help would be very much appreciated, thank you.

My advise is to use the Volvo supplied electrics as it interfaces directly into the cars electrics and associated options that are required for when something is connected as such.
I have a OEM detachable towbar fitted which works a dream in it's interface.

rkennedy
Apr 16th, 2012, 22:01

Do not under any circumstances "splice" wires into the wiring loom. Signal wiring is controlled by CAN and monitors current draw amongst other things. Purchase the specific Volvo wiring loom and control unit (£32.11 and £25.09 plus vat respectively from FRF Volvo where you will get a discount.). This is, more often than not, cheaper than you can purchase from other sources like Witter. Everyone on this forum was surprised by that fact and is why they all recommend using the Volvo products.
I fitted both the towbar and wiring/control unit with no problems. Only other extra is that you have to get a Volvo garage to download the correct software into the control unit - software is £10 plus 30 minutes labour time. It all works a treat - automatically switches off reverse park sensors when towbar is attached and switches on "trailer assist" to modify the stability control of the car when towing.
good luck