PDA

View Full Version : XC90 Aero Profile Load Carrier Bar Instructions

G1zmo
Apr 15th, 2012, 20:08
Hello everyone,

I have recently acquired a set of original Volvo aero bar load carriers for my 2010 XC90 but, alas, they do not have the fitting instructions included. I know that it probably isn't quantum physics but I would like to get it right rather than drop the roof box on the motorway somewhere.

Would any kind soul have a set of these instructions that they might be able to scan and pm or post here perhaps?

I live in hope and thanks in advance.

AB-UK
Apr 22nd, 2012, 10:43
Gizmo,
I note that no-one has replied yet.
I don't have written instructions either since I bought my Aero bars from ebay some time ago.

Do you have the funny-shaped tool with your bars? This is a form of torque wrench, supposedly to stop you over tightening the bars.
If not, so long as you have a star-shaped allen-key type tool then you will have to tighten as much as you feel is necessary, just as every other type of roof rack is fitted.

The Aero bars have a limited spring at each end - they can be compressed a little, like a Bullworker (Exercise equipment from the 80s I recall).

Open the plastic cover by twisting the circular plastic plug. Then you open up the jaws on each end using the supplied tool, or another which fits properly.

Standing on one side of the car, push the aero bar against the roof rail on the far side, so that it goes into the "jaws" of the bar. Push the jaws on this end forward, slip over the rail on this side, and allow it to spring back with the rail inside the jaws. Hey presto - fitted! Tighten, and refit the plastic cover with the fiddly circular stud.

I have mine fitted to a roof box, which two of us can just about lift onto the roof. I put blankets on the roof first as scratch protection "just in case". I get my Wife to lower her side just inside the rails, and then I push from my side so the jaws push onto those rails, and then I clamp them onto my side.

A bit long-winded I know, but I hope it helps.

G1zmo
Apr 23rd, 2012, 17:00
AB-UK,

Many thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, I too recall the 1980's fitness tool that was the Bullworker!

I do have the unusual little tool that accompanies the roof bars. It seems to be a mini plastic torque wrench. I presume the needle must be turned until it sits between the two marker posts giving approximately the correct tightness.

Good tip with the blanket as I intend to use the bars to hold a roof box also.

Thanks again.

Coconut
Oct 1st, 2012, 23:45
Not sure if you still need these or not but ......

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d129/coconut11/Coconut1.jpg

Jimbob71
Dec 21st, 2012, 18:46
Thats great having the instructions many thanks for that also, i have just bought some off ebay too ! However i do not understand the torque wrench the plastic flange piece is fixed to the allen key so how do i read the torque ?? sorry if i appear a tad dumb

thanks

Shadeyman
Apr 14th, 2013, 17:52
I'm unable to download the Coconuts Roof Bar document for some reason. Can everyone else download it ok?

JmrXC90
May 21st, 2013, 12:31
Did anyone manage to donwload coconuts intructions?

Davelincs
Jun 17th, 2013, 07:25
No I tried this morning, and nothing

Curly59
Jul 4th, 2013, 13:56

Failed for me as well, forum admin issue?

bobdabuilda
Apr 16th, 2014, 14:57
Does anyone have the instructions for these bars please? I have just acquired a set and need to know the recommended fixing points and spacing between bars. Currently got the front one in line with the Bpillar and the rear one just in front of the middle support but it looks v close together.

Dullin37
Apr 21st, 2014, 07:55
Below is a link for the fitting instructions. It states V50, but the instructions refer to the XC90. Hope it helps..

http://accessories.volvocars.com/AccessoriesWeb/Accessories.mvc/en-GB/SE/V50/2008/1.8F/Manual/L.H.D/ShowDocument/ShowIiDocument/VCC-143116-1/V50,_2008

Ackie1982
Aug 3rd, 2014, 23:27
Hi sorry I know this thread is quite old but am interested in buying these roof bars and would like to know will a roof box fit on these!?

KGL
Aug 14th, 2014, 18:31
Hi sorry I know this thread is quite old but am interested in buying these roof bars and would like to know will a roof box fit on these!?

On my 2007 XC90, they fit my Thule roof box which has adjustable / sliding attachment points. Large U-bolts slide up into the attachment mechanisms from below the load bars.

I don't bother with the rubber strips when I attach the roof box.

KGL
Aug 14th, 2014, 18:35

On my 2007 XC90, they hold my Thule roof box which has adjustable / sliding attachment points. Large U-bolts slide up into the attachment mechanisms from below the load bars.

I don't bother with the rubber strips when I attach the roof box.

Coconut
Sep 30th, 2014, 21:01
Hi everyone,

Not sure why my original link no longer works,
but User instructions for these are now available on the Volvo web site :
Volvocars.com : / Accessories User Guides (http://accessories.volvocars.com/AccessoriesWeb/Accessories.mvc/en-GB/UK/HelpAccessoryUserGuides)

Scroll down the list to "Load Carrier, Rails" :thumbs_up:

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d129/coconut11/Coconut1.jpg

stash
Mar 8th, 2018, 16:13
I have just bought a set of what appear to be genuine volvo aerowing roof bars
& one is bigger than the other ? Can’t seem to make them fit, any ideas ?