PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Gauge

jammo2002
Jul 22nd, 2002, 16:07
I've got a 1996 Vovlo 440 GS with a 1.8 petrol engine. Problem is that when I fill the fuel tank right up the fuel gauge will never show full, most it has shown is 3/4 tank. I have taken the fuel sender unit out and have cleaned it up but still the same. have measured the resistance accross the unit and get 38 ohms with full tank and 250 ohms on an empty tank... Does anyone know if this is ok? or know what the problem could be?

A strange problem I know, but, any help will be much appreciated.

Mav_UK
Jul 29th, 2002, 09:22
I'd say you have a problem - I run a '96 440 1.8 (luxury - Dutch model) and although it's hit and miss as to whether it gets to full, it's always damn close.

As to the why, I have no idea, sorry,

Stu

mcameron
Jul 31st, 2002, 19:13
I just bought an old 440 (L'reg 1.8Li) a couple of weeks ago and am experiencing a very similar problem. A full tank is not registered as such, it only shows a scant 3/4.

No solutions but at least you're no longer alone :)

Dan F
Aug 2nd, 2002, 12:06
I would check the fuel gauge sender as I have heard of these failing. It is under the rear seat I think.

CAREFUL with all that fuel around however!

Cheers,
Dan.

Martin Cox
Aug 9th, 2002, 19:43
I have had a 1994 440 1.8SE (B18U) for three and a half years now and I've never yet managed to get the gauge to show full even when I can't squeeze any more fuel in. Most of the time it will show close to full but I have known it show as low as three quarters full with a full tank. The temperature gauge is sometimes similarly vague although it never wanders out of the normal range. I must confess I've stopped worrying about it. This problem on a 245 I once had was caused by a faulty voltage regulator, although I've not got round to seeing if the 440 works in a similar way.