PDA

View Full Version : V50 2.0D SE - Initial Comments

fao852k
Jan 25th, 2006, 22:00
Hi everyone

Thought I'd share a few comments with you on my first Volvo experience.

Had the car 2 months and done 2k so far. Overall it's a lovely comfortable and relaxing car to drive. Handling is good for a front drive car, but steering is a little too light and lacks feel. Impressed with interior but find gear lever a little too close to console, as sometimes hit climate buttons when changing gear. Also it could do with better odments storage up front, especially bigger door bins, they are pathetic.
Love the torque but fuel consumption not very good for 2.0 diesel. I average about 37. A previous Golf TDI130 would do 46 over similar journeys.
Not happy with the knock-on balance weights on my nice alloys. Dealer is changing them for self adhesive ones at the 3 month check though. Volvo should fit them at the outset!
I think the cruise and radio steering wheel controls are set for lefthand drive models. Cruise should be on the right!
Fuel tank doesn't seem very big, 300 miles and it's almost in the red!

That's all for now

Nige

imac
Jan 25th, 2006, 22:08
Love the torque but fuel consumption not very good for 2.0 diesel. I average about 37.

Agreed thats not too good, I'm averaging 45-50mpg in the 2.4 D5. The worst tank average so far has been 43mpg which was mostly cold morning short journies going into a city centre at rush hour.

The best journey MPG has been on the motorway over 150 miles on a bit of an economy run - 67.5mpg (!)

Shame the V50 doesn't come with the D5 as its a nice looking car!

basher
Jan 25th, 2006, 22:32
If rumours are correct, then the D5 is going to be fitted in the S40 / V50 I think it's some time this year. Maybe when 07 model year comes out?

tj101c70
Jan 25th, 2006, 23:38
I think the cruise and radio steering wheel controls are set for lefthand drive models. Cruise should be on the right!

Nige

Trying to think if any cruise switchs were fitted to the right hand side ???? No,,,, all on the left even back to 850 and 960 etc

MarkE
Jan 26th, 2006, 20:46
Also it could do with better odments storage up front, especially bigger door bins, they are pathetic.

Agreed, but I think it's probably a safety thing - if it's not in the door bin it can't end up piercing your leg in a side impact.

Fuel tank doesn't seem very big, 300 miles and it's almost in the red!

The gauge is really pessimistic, though - when it's down to the bottom of the red it's still nowhere near empty.

littleyellowduck
Jan 27th, 2006, 00:44
Hi Guys...

Have a look at this thread from a US forum

http://forums.swedespeed.com/zerothread?id=34887

Marmoset
Jan 27th, 2006, 11:08
Wait until 3k is on the clock, mine loosened up noticeably at that stage(as Volvo itself reckons it should) and feels even smoother now with 18k on it. I reckon on 44mpg and about 460 miles between fill ups on a 80/20 motorway/a road split with reasonably brisk driving.

I reckon the steering wheel buttons are right, I tend to use the stereo buttons more than the cruise.

fao852k
Jan 28th, 2006, 20:06
Thanks for your comments guys.

My cruise control comment only came about because my previous car, a 3 series BM, had the cruise on the rhs. This seems more logical to me when you are cruising on the motorway, with your elbow on the armrest and hand on the wheel next to cruise controls ready for a change. It just goes to show that not every car is perfect for every person, but like me we have to adapt to any change.

Nige