PDA

View Full Version : S80 Cars: - Why some S80s are incredibly cheap?

VolvoForLife
May 13th, 2012, 14:35
Why prices of some S80s are incredibly cheap even under 1000 GBP?

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201218467488919/sort/default/usedcars/model/s80/make/volvo/radius/200/postcode/cv345bw/quicksearch/true/page/1?logcode=p

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201218468931817/sort/default/usedcars/model/s80/make/volvo/radius/200/postcode/cv345bw/quicksearch/true/page/1?logcode=p

blackrevolver
May 13th, 2012, 14:46
Well they are 12 year old cars and heavy on the fuel

Bernard333
May 13th, 2012, 14:55
I think those two examples are priced on the high side , both would be lucky to reach £500 in the auction . You can pick up 2001/2002 examples for not much more .

NewVolvo
May 13th, 2012, 14:58

Well, the 2000 2.4 (170) auto I had certainly wasn't heavy on fuel (avg 36 mpg). Lovely car but sooooo boring.

Even found a pic of it...
http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3571/3452312685_6ecec0eb33.jpg

Volvo2002
May 13th, 2012, 15:14
Well, the 2000 2.4 (170) auto I had certainly wasn't heavy on fuel (avg 36 mpg). Lovely car but sooooo boring.

Even found a pic of it...
http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3571/3452312685_6ecec0eb33.jpg

Have a friend who just sold his thanks to how thirsty it was. It was used mostly in town and was costing them a ton to run, so they bought a 1.9 DCI Laguna

On topic though the age and fuel costs are a put off for most who just want to save money. It seems even younger guys like my age are driving 1.9 turbo diesels like the Ibiza or Fabia VRS. I'm perfectly happy with 36.2mpg on the combined cycle.

stedman
May 13th, 2012, 15:36
And **** to drive.

VolvoForLife
May 13th, 2012, 15:38
What does "heavy on fuel" mean for low milage daily runs? 20 liters per 100km?

Thank you, do you think it is good idea to buy such car in below situation:
- I have just 5 miles to work;
- my wife is not able to drive manual;
- i want safe car for her as I am almost sure she will have accident in case of alone voyage
- as 2nd car as my first on S60 D5 requires major repairs?

Moosejaw
May 13th, 2012, 15:42
I think another problem is that outside Volvo enthusiast circles they have zero 'image' and are seen more as Vauxhall Omega or Peugeot 607 rivals than alternatives to an Audi or BMW, a fact made all the more obvious when you drive one. They're pleasant enough, but nowhere near a 5 series.

Also, the fact that, like most Volvos of that era they often have electronic maladies that can cost more than the car's worth to fix (ETM/airbag/ABS warning lights are common) doesn't help either.

Nice cars all the same, and a bargain for anyone wanting a big comfy barge and is prepared to take the gamble that it won't go bang, but the same can be said for most 10+ year old exec barges.

blackrevolver
May 13th, 2012, 15:50
What does "heavy on fuel" mean for low milage daily runs? 20 liters per 100km?

Thank you, do you think it is good idea to buy such car in below situation:
- I have just 5 miles to work;
- my wife is not able to drive manual;
- i want safe car for her as I am almost sure she will have accident in case of alone voyage
- as 2nd car as my first on S60 D5 requires major repairs?

Just depends on what you're used to, i bought an s70, its big luxurious and comfy and round town i get 23mpg, thats heavy on the fuel but i love having a luxurious comfy beast!

Also depends on your cash situation, do you care if you have to spend an extra 10-20 pound a week on fuel? do you want to arrive in work in style?

blackrevolver
May 13th, 2012, 16:22

She cant be that bad can she? maybe spend the money on extra lessons for your wife as a dangerous driver can be in trouble in any car, even a volvo!

catflem
May 13th, 2012, 18:13
She cant be that bad can she? maybe spend the money on extra lessons for your wife as a dangerous driver can be in trouble in any car, even a volvo!

Reading between the lines I'd hazard a guess that his wife is used to driving on the other side of the road.

My sister in law learnt to drive in a very rural part of New Zealand, her driving was obviously considered good enough for the sparsely trafficked region she lived in. But when she lived in London every single panel on her car was bashed. I only got in a car with her once........... never again !.

capt jack
May 13th, 2012, 18:26
It's always been the case that big old saloon cars are worth next to nothing quickly.

If those two S80s were V70s, they'd be up at double those prices and more, but unfortunately there ain't much demand for big, thirsty and fairly dull old cars.

The boot space ain't great, so folk looking for a cheap load-lugger will look elsewhere, the fuel economy won't be amazing, and there'll be a general perception that cars like this are prohibitively expensive to maintain.

It isn't just a feature of S80s though, have a look at the dozens of E-Class Merc saloons on Autotrader for similar money, or the (literally) hundreds of BMW 3 and 5 series cars similarly priced, and if you're looking for real depreciation heaven just search through the Saabs for sale!

Typically around or over the 100,000 miles mark, two or three owners (the first a company, then a private owner who could afford the bills, then another who couldn't), many have full service histories, all the toys and gadgets, and come from dealers offering warranties and finance deals.

Crazy thing is, get a good one and keep it, and you'll be buying a car that will probably work out way cheaper to own over time than a three-year-old modern diesel hatchback, but as with so much these days, it's all about image.

Cheers

Jack

Daim
May 13th, 2012, 18:35

Our 2.0T automatic is really economical! Considering the size of the car, the power, the automatic and the always active AC, the car is really economical! 35 mpg is no worry at all...

blackrevolver
May 13th, 2012, 18:56
Our 2.0T automatic is really economical! Considering the size of the car, the power, the automatic and the always active AC, the car is really economical! 35 mpg is no worry at all...

35mpg around town? if you're talking highway then can see these cars being ok but they are expensive to run around town.

Daim
May 13th, 2012, 19:03
35mpg around town? if you're talking highway then can see these cars being ok but they are expensive to run around town.

My mum only drives short distances (around ~4 miles/direction for shopping or - Mrs Lazy - about 1 mile/direction to work) and then stop and go around Bremen. On the Autobahn at ~75 mph it will easily achieve something like 40 mpg. Really a perfect engine for the S80...

blackrevolver
May 13th, 2012, 19:05
cool :thumbs_up: they not as bad as first thought, ive the s70 2.5 and i find that heavy on the fuel but alot of stop and go traffic up here so though the s80 would be similar.

Volvo2002
May 13th, 2012, 19:07

I'd say more like 20-23 in the town realistically. My lightweight S40 does 28-30 in the town

NewVolvo
May 13th, 2012, 19:14
I don't remember how much mine did in town, but it wasn't great, that's for sure. However, one thing for sure though is that the S80 is very hard to beat for comfort when on motorway. Beat any E-class or 5-series at the time. It's also a very large car. The design really hides the size well but is very apparent when parking or going into multi-storey carparks!

Daim
May 13th, 2012, 19:17
I'd say more like 20-23 in the town realistically. My lightweight S40 does 28-30 in the town

You've got to know how to drive an automatic to get it doing that in the first place ;)

I get in my C30 well over 40 mpg in daily driving with rush hour etc...

blackrevolver
May 13th, 2012, 19:18
Daim less of the boasting!

Volvo2002
May 13th, 2012, 19:20
I don't remember how much mine did in town, but it wasn't great, that's for sure. However, one thing for sure though is that the S80 is very hard to beat for comfort when on motorway. Beat any E-class or 5-series at the time. It's also a very large car. The design really hides the size well but is very apparent when parking or going into multi-storey carparks!

I've drove one a 2002 2.4 auto. Seats were superb and it moved well too.

Daim
May 13th, 2012, 19:21
Daim less of the boasting!

Must I say my C30 is a 2.0l petrol with only 5 gears? :D

Volvo2002
May 13th, 2012, 19:23
You've got to know how to drive an automatic to get it doing that in the first place ;)

I get in my C30 well over 40 mpg in daily driving with rush hour etc...

40mpg in stop start traffic? Is it a diesel?

NewVolvo
May 13th, 2012, 19:27
I've drove one a 2002 2.4 auto. Seats were superb and it moved well too.

Seats are one of the best features of the S80. I had the standard seats, the later models came with sports seats and they were simply superb!

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3368/3452312181_17c0760883.jpg

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3299/3452312449_a42b56174b.jpg

Volvo2002
May 13th, 2012, 19:30
Seats are one of the best features of the S80. I had the standard seats, the later models came with sports seats and they were simply superb!

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3368/3452312181_17c0760883.jpg

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3299/3452312449_a42b56174b.jpg

Yep made my S40s seats less comfortable lol. I could of drove that car for hours it was pure luxury. Definitely an ideal car if you do a lot of motorway journeys.

Daim
May 13th, 2012, 20:05
40mpg in stop start traffic? Is it a diesel?

Read my post above yours...

It is all down to knowing HOW TO...

With a lot of tricks you can easily manage that.

Volvo2002
May 13th, 2012, 20:16
Read my post above yours...

It is all down to knowing HOW TO...

With a lot of tricks you can easily manage that.

If it's 2.0 Volvo claim 27.7 urban for your car and 25.7 for mine. I think it would be impossible in stop start traffic in the town with a lot of idle stops to get 40mpg. When I'm taking it easy my trip at best shows 30.5mpg but with the heavier traffic it sits comfortably on the 28-29... and trips are usually a little generous.

On a-roads cruising along 40 + is perfectly realistic. Best my trip is ever shown is 51.4mpg

NewVolvo
May 13th, 2012, 20:20
Yep made my S40s seats less comfortable lol. I could of drove that car for hours it was pure luxury. Definitely an ideal car if you do a lot of motorway journeys.

I commuted, at the time, everyday between Colchester & Felixstowe + various other trips in the UK. Wife and I also did a 2 week hols in Sweden which was fantastic on the smooth, empty roads there :)

Daim
May 13th, 2012, 20:46
If it's 2.0 Volvo claim 27.7 urban for your car and 25.7 for mine. I think it would be impossible in stop start traffic in the town with a lot of idle stops to get 40mpg. When I'm taking it easy my trip at best shows 30.5mpg but with the heavier traffic it sits comfortably on the 28-29... and trips are usually a little generous.

On a-roads cruising along 40 + is perfectly realistic. Best my trip is ever shown is 51.4mpg

I have highlighted that, which doesn't happen with me! I always have my eyes on that, what is happening 5 cars ahead. When it is stopping, my engine is already turned off. I basically "stop/start" my engine every stop in town. That is one of the easiest ways to increace MPG. Every second counts.

Believe it or not... I also drive - when the traffic allows it - even inside a village/town at 50 km/h on cruise control. Any moment possible is on CC. Additionally I don't give any kind of gas whilst in a cue. I will crawl along on idle (if I need to which doesn't clash with that stated above!) and not touch the accelerator pedal. I will allow a gap to grow between me and the car in front, in order to avoid a "stop". Common sense, an eye on the envoirement infront and above (lights) and other tips and tricks. Like AC off in the town but windows open. Radio not so loud.

Just because Volvo states an MPG of 27 or what so ever on my engine, it doesn't mean I can't beat it. I've had my car now 4 years and driven more than 120.000 km with it. 120.000 km is about 75.000 miles. Over this time I have an average (120.000 km average!) or 6.5l/100 km equalling 43.46 mpg. From these 120.000 km about 90.000 km (~57.000 miles) is through the city in rushhour times. If you haven't been to Bremen, you won't know how a stop and go works in it's worst case (okay, London is worse). Included in this 6.5l is aswell Autobahn driving at high speeds (greater than 100 mph!) which raise the fuel consumption. My best was so far 58.02 mpg! See this post for details: http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showpost.php?p=1016974&postcount=16

Brain on, foot away.

Volvo2002
May 13th, 2012, 21:13
I have highlighted that, which doesn't happen with me! I always have my eyes on that, what is happening 5 cars ahead. When it is stopping, my engine is already turned off. I basically "stop/start" my engine every stop in town. That is one of the easiest ways to increace MPG. Every second counts.

Believe it or not... I also drive - when the traffic allows it - even inside a village/town at 50 km/h on cruise control. Any moment possible is on CC. Additionally I don't give any kind of gas whilst in a cue. I will crawl along on idle (if I need to which doesn't clash with that stated above!) and not touch the accelerator pedal. I will allow a gap to grow between me and the car in front, in order to avoid a "stop". Common sense, an eye on the envoirement infront and above (lights) and other tips and tricks. Like AC off in the town but windows open. Radio not so loud.

Just because Volvo states an MPG of 27 or what so ever on my engine, it doesn't mean I can't beat it. I've had my car now 4 years and driven more than 120.000 km with it. 120.000 km is about 75.000 miles. Over this time I have an average (120.000 km average!) or 6.5l/100 km equalling 43.46 mpg. From these 120.000 km about 90.000 km (~57.000 miles) is through the city in rushhour times. If you haven't been to Bremen, you won't know how a stop and go works in it's worst case (okay, London is worse). Included in this 6.5l is aswell Autobahn driving at high speeds (greater than 100 mph!) which raise the fuel consumption. My best was so far 58.02 mpg! See this post for details: http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showpost.php?p=1016974&postcount=16

Brain on, foot away.

I suppose if you go to the extreme it is possible. I agree that planning is a vital element of eco driving and anticipation of other cars. I consider myself to be pretty good at this when on A-roads and one of the reasons I've managed to get the trip to read 51.4.

When I drive a little spirited and at a consistent 60mph my trip sits in the 42-45 and when taking it easy I'm managing early 50s MPG on a run.

51.4 was on A-roads which I mostly drive, haven't tried the motorway yet.

Stoney Strike
May 13th, 2012, 23:25
My P 2 V 70 is absolutely brilliant to drive on A and M roads....... Went to Manchester and back in 4 1/2 hours 2 weeks ago and could've turned round and done the same trip again easily.
The same is true of my old P1 tho,......... To Gatwick in a one stop trip from the North East. Not a problem. The driving position and seats are perfect for the job.
They are a bit thirsty in petrol form. But it's a price worth paying. The newer motor is more thirsty than the old one. But only by a couple of miles a gallon. there or there abouts.