PDA

View Full Version : 480 headlights - one up, one down

Al115
Jul 3rd, 2002, 10:11
One of the pop-up headlights on my 480 has stopped popping-up. Now the car looks like it is half-asleep all the time! :-)

This follows a period of about a month during which the pop-up action for the affected headlight got increasingly slow and sluggish.

Any suggestions as to how to remedy this would be very welcome. It's near-hand-side lamp that doesn't work (left hand as you look to the front of the car).

Thanks,

Alastair

Magyver
Jul 11th, 2002, 01:55
Hi

U cud try this

operate the headlamp manually using the lifter motor wheel which is the little white circle that looks that cap of a washer bottle on the extreme left front and extreme right front of the engine bay (one for each motor) This will tell you if the the motor is free and turning. If it is, lift the lamp towards the up position and when you can see the piston arm (damper) that connects to the lamp stop. Then spray a large helping of WD40 or somesuch onto the piston arm. Raise and lower the lamp manually then try it with the switch.

This seemed to cure my same problem, hope it helps.

While I am on any idea where I cud get any of the following

Rear light assembly (left or both)
Boot Lock plate (goes between rear lights)
Boot Cover/Parcel shelf

Cheers

Al115
Jul 11th, 2002, 18:06
Magyver - thanks for your suggestion.

I tried this - the headlights now seem less sluggish and work fine most of the time, but occasionally the left one still stays down. In this situation, it usually comes up within half a minute or so. If I manage to solve this, I'll post the solution here.

I'm afraid I don't know where you could find the spares you're after.

Kind regards,

Al

Charlie k9
Aug 20th, 2002, 20:29
Hi, I dont know if you have resolved the problem seeing that the posting was in July, but if not this may help you. I had a similar problem with my lights and after trying various remidies I spoke to the main Volvo dealer in my area. It seems that the head lights are goverend by the day driving lights and if you have the wrong type of bulb in them (non Volvo recomended)you get the problem of the head lights not coming up.I Changed the bulbs and fittings in mine and since then there have been no problems.

Regards
Bill