PDA

View Full Version : S40: - Anti-skid service as a result of turning on the aircon!?

mclovin
May 14th, 2012, 18:14
Hi there,

I have a rather random set of events I am looking for some advice on. I have a 56 plate S40 diesel which up until recently ran like a dream. About a month ago I had a weird problem where the heater got stuck on hot, until I rebooted the car.

About a week ago, 2 mins into a journey a Anti-Skid message came up on the dash. The wife was driving at the time, so I googled it on my phone. Just as I got a couple of results back, all hell broke loose. The windscreen wipers came on, the fans in the dash ramped up and the dash lit up saying complete brake failure and acceleration dropped so we coasted and pulled over and turned off the engine whereby cussing and bemusement set in. On trying to start the car, it decided to bubble wrap us and immobilised the car from starting.

We gave it 5 mins, during which time we considered calling the AA. We tried the car one last time and it fired up, all errors cleared and the car drove normally. I swapped the car and took the Golf instead (atleast that works). Cars been fine for about a week, and then yesterday I switched on the aircon 5 mins into driving and bang - same thing, complete brake failure etc etc. Same procedure, left it 5 mins and it cleared. Driving home, as I got near the drive repeated the same test and with the same results, albeit it said that I needed an anti-skid service instead impending doom of a complete brake failure.

I have the car booked in for a dealer diagnostic to find out what's going on. I was wondering if anyone else had a similar problem? I am not mechanically minded, but being that the ABS/Anti skid work OK and that this seemed to kick in with added load on the electrics if this is a known weird battery/alternator issue?

Thanks in advance,
McLovin-my-Volvo

Marty Dolomite
May 15th, 2012, 01:14
I would check the basic easy stuff first like all the earth cables, battery to engine, battery to chassis etc then the alternator plug and charge rate.and check the aircon, alternator and other mounting points to check everything is secure and earthng properly.
Im not saying this will be the problem but bad earths can cause those problems.

Hope it doesn't turn out to be something expensive.

banksy66
May 15th, 2012, 12:17
I would check the basic easy stuff first like all the earth cables, battery to engine, battery to chassis etc then the alternator plug and charge rate.and check the aircon, alternator and other mounting points to check everything is secure and earthng properly.
Im not saying this will be the problem but bad earths can cause those problems.

Hope it doesn't turn out to be something expensive.

He took the words right out of my mouth...............

chrisdicko
May 15th, 2012, 20:49
Does it not sound like the CEM?

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=134288

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=152859

Marty Dolomite
May 15th, 2012, 23:10
He took the words right out of my mouth...............

Sorry, I will post them first class back to you.