PDA

View Full Version : Volvo 440 - Cam Belt Snapped

ckg
Jun 12th, 2002, 20:03
I have a volvo 440 1700i and the cam bet has snapped at around 30 miles per hour. how bad will the damage be, am i lightly to have bent valves/ cracked head or what. Has anyone had a simular problem and if so what costs would you expect.

Any suguestions would be helpfull

Regards

Chris

Mav_UK
Jun 13th, 2002, 09:13
Hi Chris,

Unfortunately you can't really tell until you pull the head off. Did you stop as soon as it happened, as the longer you go the more damage is done.

I would expect a lot of damage - although I know of someone who had their cambelt go at 70mph and it only damaged the valves themselves and was fixed quite cheaply.

Sorry I can't be more help,

Good luck

Stu

Texvolvo
Jul 14th, 2002, 07:33
Well being from the USA I am not familiar with the model 440. I do know that any twin cam gas engine Volvo makes is an interference engine, meaning that a broken timing belt bends valves. To my knowledge all other gas engines used by Volvo will not bend the valves when the timing belt breaks. A few months ago I had the timing belt break on my 960 and the after math was not a pretty site. Head ruined and the pistons as well. Stay with a non-interfence engine, you will sleep better at night.

Dan F
Jul 18th, 2002, 15:22
Hi.
My brother had a similar incident with his 1.7 340GL going round a roundabout once. They have basically the same Renault engine.
He was doing between 20 and 30mph when it happened and he didn't pull to an immediate stop. I don't think he would have knocked it into neutral either.
Anyway, he had about 4 bent valves and the head was fine. I think some of the piston crowns needed skimming however..
As the head was off he had a new cylinder head gasket fitted and new valves etc. I think it came to about £700 +VAT in the end.
This was at a non dealers too.

Hope that helps a little..

Cheers,
Dan.

edohen300
Aug 14th, 2004, 14:55
It happened to me and i will suggest you just get a refurblished engine instead of trying to repair the old one.
It works out much cheaper in the end.

drivesavolvo
Aug 14th, 2004, 23:18
Hi, replace the engine? why? it doesnt matter how quick you turn off the engine, the valves will bend on the first turn of the engine.
700 quid to replace a head????? was it dick turpin motors?
I will supply and fit a 440 head with genuine gaskets, 3 months parts and labour warranty for £275.00
Hopefully you are in the Wigan area, if not you could arrange to get the car to me first thing and it would be ready mid afternoon.
As for piston damage i have never seen it with a snapped cam belt. the piston is much harder than the valves therefore only the valves will bend.

01942 322880 mon to fri 8.30am to 5.00pm

Regards, Keith