PDA

View Full Version : 440 Cold start proplem

Dvae
Sep 17th, 2002, 17:53
Hi All
I have a 1990 1.7 440GLI, engine type B18 EP.
My problem is the car is hard to start from cold, I usually have to keep the excelerator pressed until the engine is warm, once warm the car runs fine, the problem seems similar to an auto choke not functioning, I've checked all the sensors ie coolant temp, air temp and these seem OK, however I've also checked the diagnostics unit which gives an error code of 2,1,1 does anyone have any idea what this error code is, or any other ideas.

Regaurds
Dave

Ginetta
Oct 2nd, 2002, 09:55
I have the same problem with a 480 1.7 auto so its a pain to get into 'drive' in the mornings as it wont idle?
How is the mixture enriched or choked in the mornings? Where are the sensors?
Let me know if you find the problem please.
Harvey

pettaw
Oct 2nd, 2002, 11:08
not sure on 400 series, but your cars control idle using an idle stepper motor don't they. This is a small solenoid type thingy that moves the throttle plates to increase the idle speed. This is probably sticky, so disconnect the inlet tubing from the throttle body and get some carb cleaner and spray it all over the plates, giving it a good wipe, try and remove most of the cleaner as its not great for the cat.

Also, remove the electric connection and clean that just in case.

not sure what 2,1,1 is on error code. I'll look it up in my books tonight.

pettaw
Oct 3rd, 2002, 21:21
211 is 'CO potentiometer' by that they presumably mean the air mass meter do they? If so remove it and spray carb cleaner into it and work it back and forth, being careful not to break any sensors or wiring inside it. Clean the connector also, then reset the code and see if it comes back.

Ginetta
Oct 11th, 2002, 08:15
I've solved it! The plug under the throttle body which connects to the throttle position switch was the problem. It looked clean and corosion free but I cleaned it with WD and the problem has gone and it starts fine again now. You need to prise out the spring clip around the plug before it will undo.

Mav_UK
Oct 11th, 2002, 11:42
Anyone know if a '96 1.8i 440 would have this plug (I have problems running from not quite cold until qarm. Strange thing is cold it's fine and warm it's fine, just when teh temp gague gets above the cold mark. Checked out by a dealer with a conputer who said theres no faults being reported.......

Stu

Bungee
Feb 12th, 2003, 10:24
The 211 code is definately the CO pot. The CO pot is not the Air mass meter. The co pot is a sensor inserted in the inlet pipe between the air filter and the air flow/mass meter. It usually has an adjuster screw which allows you to adjust the co content of the exhaust emissions. However, my B16f Engine does not have a CO Pot fitted as standard but still will give the 211 error code. According to Volvo, the ECU is used in several different models and will on ocassion give 'ghost' errors not applicable to that particular model. In light of your success with the Throttle position swith PLUG, I will give that a try as well. I thought you might find the above info interesting!!!