PDA

View Full Version : Sqeaky sterring

Mav_UK
Sep 30th, 2002, 09:11
Just noticed a sqeak that I know isn't supposed to be there on my '96 440 1.8i. As you turn the steering wheels there is a slight sqeak at certain points of the steering. Anyone got any ideas of what to check, do the UJs for the steering column dry up and things like that, and are these simple to replace or am I looking at the budget I need for a new computer?

Cheers

Stu (And I thought running a modern car was going to be less stressful than maintaining my spitty!)

Cougar 27
Oct 1st, 2002, 12:19
Sounds like you have the same problem as me !. My 480 squeaks when you turn the steering wheel, I have tracked the fault down to the suspension. I lubricated the points to where they are attached to the car, which seemed to solve the problem for a while. I think I need to replace the front suspension shocks (around £25 each) to put the problem to bed, as I had the same sound coming from the rear shocks until I replaced those.

Hope this helps .......

Mav_UK
Oct 1st, 2002, 13:27
Cheers Mark,

Can I ask what you lubricated them with (will WD40 do the trick or should I use something a bit better (motorbike chainoil for example?)

Thanks

Stu

PS I won't be able to try these until the weekend, so if anyone has any more ideas please let me know and I can try them all one after the other! (He says hopefully......)

Dan F
Oct 2nd, 2002, 09:33
Hi.
My old 440 2.0i SE used to do this but only during the winter.
In the end as was worn I just got used to it and it went away during the drier weather.....weird.

It is probably your track rod joints if anything, I would leave the shocks alone unless you are positive it is them.

Cheers,
Dan.

Cougar 27
Oct 2nd, 2002, 09:47
I used spray grease from halfords, WD40 does not seem to last long. The spray grease gets into the places you carn't reach .....

Good Luck ...

Mav_UK
Oct 3rd, 2002, 08:24
Okay bit of an update....

Got my other half to sit in the car and play with the steering whilst I was outside, and the squeak is only insode the car. Outside all you hear is the power steering pump as you turn the wheel. Inside you get teh squeak.....

I'm guessing that soem rubber grommet has come lose and is catching something, anyone jknow anything about teh steering inside?

Cheers

Stu

PS Next time I'm in the UK I really must look for a haynes manual or something!

exley
Oct 4th, 2002, 21:00
Try adjusting the angle of the steering column. My 480 developed the squeak after I had changed the angle.

Quentin

Mav_UK
Oct 7th, 2002, 06:29
I hadn't thought of that! I'll give it at ry this evening and let you kow what happens!

Thanks

Stu