PDA

View Full Version : 440si hatchback need info.

pikey123
Oct 2nd, 2002, 22:14
i,ve the chance of buying a 440si M reg 92k mls.1.8cc engine.Cananybody tell me of any known faults with clutch brakes,steering, engine, etc.what make of engine is 1.8.does the car have p.a.s do the rear seats fold flat.Any info would be apprieciated.
thanks dave.

Mav_UK
Oct 3rd, 2002, 08:19
I don't know the spec levels of the UK 440's but:

1.8 is an 8 valve renault engine, and in the words of my father - a mechanic for quite some years - a mystery, it's clunky, can rattle, is not a great design, but for some reason it works very well, and generally lasts yonks. He's told me to expect 200k+ if I treat my 1.8i well. They generate a good deal of torque and will pull off in third quite happily.

The rear seats are 60/40 and do fold flat, the parcel shelf lifts out easily and you get a good sized load area. With the seats up and the parcel shelf in place you can still get a good deal of luggage in the boot.

Brakes are amazing, but are (mine at least) prone to brake fade if you are gently slowing down from a great speed down hill as they are not vented discs.

That's about all I can say on spec and problems as thats the experience I've had with mine (touch wood....).

To drive they are great, they cruise at 70-90 very nicely, are quite frugal with the fuel (Amsterdam to Leicester I get 39+ mpg doing about 80 most of the time), they are very comfortable and relaxing to drive and I really don't understand why the motoring press slated them so much! It's a much quieter car than most modern things (Golfs, Leons, 306, Megane's,A3's etc) that the guys in my office drive and is much roomier.

About safety it's a Volvo. Never had to use the saftey features thank god, but I am told they are outstanding. I can say it's the only hatchback I've seen with a roll-over bar in the middle of the roof for extra strength!

Good luck and enjoy!

Stu