PDA

View Full Version : 1967 123GT

ljones28
Jan 27th, 2004, 07:33
I have been looking for a useable classic and have come across a 1967 123GT which I am interested in. I don't know much about Volvos, particulary this model. I know it is rare but I can't work out what the going price is. Also what should I look out for which could give me hassles. Any info would be useful.

bloxidgp
Feb 8th, 2004, 09:43
Hi! I can't be too much help myself (I am in the middle of building a 123GT for classic rallying so have no driving experience yet). However, one of the classic mags (Practical Classics or Classics or Classic Car) had a very good 'Buyers' Guide' no more than 3 months ago that addressed the 122 series (bodywise the same as the 123GT.

There are lots of body rot spots to look out for
- base of front and rear windscreens
- spare wheel well
- front floor pans
- base of the A pillars (door hinge pillars)
- rear wheel arches

however spares and panels are readily available.

Engine and drive train-wise it is, as its name implies, very strong. Again there are many mods you can do to make it even more bomb-proof, eg steel oil pump and timing gears. Axle and gearbox are strong. Again, spares are readily to hand.

123GTs are much sought after so you will pay a premium compared to a 122S etc.

If you want to know more about the models, Amazon.com (the shop, not the car!) have several good books on the model range.

One of the UK's leading Amazon people is Tony Barrett at South Service (London), 0208 741 3300. He's very helpful.

Hope these rambles help a bit.
Paul

wellshj
Feb 12th, 2004, 13:48
I run a 123GT as a daily driver and can definately recommend the experience - strong, simple, fast enough and a bit of fun. I only accidentally bought a 123GT and would recommend keeping an eye out for other tuned B18 models or the B20 engined models (standard for the 1969 model year) as well as they tend to be better value and will still be as quick or quick enough for most.

Common mods are twin carbs, 2" ezhaust, tubular manifold, larger valves and gasflowed head and D or K type cams. I have fitted uprated springs and Bilstein dampers to my car and they give an excellent ride. An overdrive gives much better motorway cruising so would be a good feature to watch out for. Make sure that any car is structually sound as repairs are rarely financially viable.

Prices for a good 123GT start at £3k, a sound 122s with some performance mods or B20 engined car should be around £2k.

stuart131
Aug 4th, 2004, 16:32
by now youve probably bought the car or decided against ,
However ,just in case not , thoroughly recommend the Amazon as a daily driver ,in particular the GT s as much quicker .
I only had mine a couple of months after looking for a good one for years and absolutley love it .As per a previous reply check the body carefully ,particularly the rear arches and sills /wings as although panels freely available ,bit expensive .
Once you have the car ,stock up on consumable /emergency spares eg a clutch kit,exhaust,points ,water pump etc,I buy at least one item a month to spread the cost .This way in the unlikely event of a breakdown ,you aint going to be off the road for long and are more likely to be repaired at the roadside if not serious .
With these cars take it from me ,they are VERY strong enginewise and with normal driving will always get you there and back again.I would strongly recommend an overdrive box as you can go on for ever at 65/70 mph with no worries and can hear the stereo as a bonus .I have had older motors before but never really enjoyed driving them ue to reliability or crap performance.The Amazon is a WONDERFUL car ,get one you wont regret it.
all the best ,if you bought the car how s it going?