PDA

View Full Version : XC90 T6 mpg

xcoventry
Feb 9th, 2006, 23:26
I have heard that the T6 is extremely thirsty. Anyone got any real life mpgs? I am hoping to get a XC90 next weekend. :Banane32: Should i get a diesel instead?

JsR
Feb 10th, 2006, 23:39
Hi - I've had my T6 since June last '05 (it's an '03 model). I'm getting 13mpg as a gentle driver - but my average speed is only 13mph. Maybe if I average 50mph I'll get 50mpg??? Somehow I doubt it.

It doesn't really worry me as I only do a max 5000 miles per annum.

regards

John R

gis514
Feb 11th, 2006, 11:30
I'm a city driver as well and get 12.8 mpg-terrible-hate it. I'm getting Hummer mpg!

imac
Feb 11th, 2006, 17:38
I'm a city driver as well and get 12.8 mpg-terrible-hate it. I'm getting Hummer mpg!

Crikey! Thats nearly as bad as the 4.6 V8 Range Rover! (11-12mpg average)

After_Shock
Feb 12th, 2006, 09:12
On a run they will do 18mpg ish.

John_C
Feb 12th, 2006, 23:24
Hmmmm, a 2.9 litre six cylinder twin turbo engine mated to an automatic gearbox (which is only 4-speed, agh!) in a 4 wheel drive vehicle weighing over two tonnes....... Yes, the fuel economy is going to be bloody terrifying!!

If you have to ask the question you would probably be better off with the Diesel, only those who don't need to ask about the fuel costs should get a T6 IMHO. ;)

Cheers,
J

xcoventry
Feb 14th, 2006, 21:11
I am swaping from a ML320 which is 3.2L auto. It does not have a mpg computer so all i know is that it is thirsty. Hopefully the 2.9T will be better. However looking at the mpg from the 2.5T, it is not much better.

John_C
Feb 14th, 2006, 22:58
What's the 320, a 3.2 litre normally aspirated V6/V8? So you're dropping 300cc's but bolting on a couple of turbos.

I would say you be doing well to keep level on MPG unless you have a very light right foot and stay off the boost, but that's just an opinion, no facts to back it up or anything useful like that ;)

xcoventry
Feb 17th, 2006, 23:59
Collecting my T6 tomorrow.:Banane59: :Banane59:
Will post my mpg after a full tank for the fun of it.

John_C
Feb 18th, 2006, 00:20
As long as you're happy with the car that's all that matters, hope it is all you wished for.

That said I could do with seeing someone get worse MPG than my S60 T5 so looking forwards to the results ;)

dipsta
Mar 5th, 2006, 20:06
On an average run my old mans xc90 t6 exe will do just about 16mpg, you boot it it slups juice, but wheres the fun in having a 3.0 tt and no giving it some once in a while!

xcoventry
Mar 9th, 2006, 23:33
Had a good run with the T6 and can only average 13.8mpg. That is being light on the trottle as well. All city driving and have not gone on the motorway yet. Much more power than the ML320 though. The build is also much better than the Merc.
I wonder what it is like on the VW 5.0 Tourag or Cayenne S. Maybe on the next change and by then the depreciation on the VW would bring it down to £15k.

carlhunt
Mar 10th, 2006, 21:41
The average mpg I've been getting from the T6 is 18.9 which is
roughly 50/50 town/motorway driving.

The trip computer has been reading only 6% better than the
figures I have recorded from the pumps.

I have been quite thorough in my assesment of fuel consumption
as I needed to understand the consequence of conversion to
LPG.

Compared to the D5 the T6 really will shift when you want it to
and is that much more refined than the diesel (see the threads
on diesel noise!).

Enjoy.

chris C&C
Mar 15th, 2006, 22:43
HI
Ive just discoverd this web site so you will have experienced the XC90 first hand by now.
I have had my car 3 years in June its the 2.9T6 and I am completely satisfied with the car. In the first summer it arrived I went to Cornwall for a holiday 7 up & filled to the cap badge with luggage had a great time and the the car returned 18mpg, that was doing a little bit of low flying aswell. it dosn't seem to make any difference if its loaded or not the MPG isnt realy affected. Since then the car has lived up to all expectations. My car before the XC90 was a T5R AWD 300BHP What a rapid car so the new car had alot to lve up to! but as i said Im not disapointed. Any way the best of luck with yours. Chris P Liverpool

Mike_Brace
Mar 19th, 2006, 10:45
The average mpg I've been getting from the T6 is 18.9 which is
roughly 50/50 town/motorway driving.

The trip computer has been reading only 6% better than the
figures I have recorded from the pumps.

I have been quite thorough in my assesment of fuel consumption
as I needed to understand the consequence of conversion to
LPG.

Compared to the D5 the T6 really will shift when you want it to
and is that much more refined than the diesel (see the threads
on diesel noise!).

Enjoy.

On that consumption an lpg conversion seems mandatory and rapidly self financing! If you need any guidance as to what system to fit let me know.

Mike

xc90er
Mar 22nd, 2006, 20:29
LPG sounds great. Any idea of costs and what it does to the resale value? Also does it mean that i could use LPG all the time and petrol only for emergencies?

Anyone out there with an xc90 with LPG?

carlhunt
Mar 28th, 2006, 08:20
LPG sounds great. Any idea of costs and what it does to the resale value? Also does it mean that i could use LPG all the time and petrol only for emergencies?

Anyone out there with an xc90 with LPG?

To answer your last question first err me.

My XC90 has been converted to
run on LPG by a local installer. The equiupment was a BRC multipoint sequential system.

Cost of conversion, well that is between you and your installer but there seems to be a "standard rate" of about £2100 inc vat although I received
quotes from £1600 inc upwards. Mine was at the upper end.

With a 66l tank ( about 50l useable ) the range is 120 - 150 miles.

I was originally slightly disappointed with the converstion as I have found that more LPG is used than expected but once I realised that the car's
economy (petrol) was worse than anticipated I found that I am getting the benfit from LPG that I expected.

I am currently anticipating a saving of 0.097518876 pence per mile
i.e. 10 pence per mile.

This should give you a good idea of how quickly the installation will
pay back.

You could use LPG all the time & petrol for emergencies. Remember that an LPG conversion starts on petrol ( the engine has to get up to a certain temperature for the LPG vapouriser to work ) but I believe the useage to be at the rate of about 150 miles per gallon ( this is factored into the 10p figure ).

Any other questions ?

xc90er
Mar 29th, 2006, 21:26
Thanks. Do you have any maintenance issues and does it affect resale values ? Does or can the annual service includes the LPG part in the volvo dealer? I am worried if there is any problems, one company will blame the other. It can occur if the fault is not clear cut.

carlhunt
Mar 30th, 2006, 21:32
The "petrol" maintenance schedule is the same although some claim that LPG is less damaging and consequently less maintenance is required.
The "lpg" maintenance consists of a check of the system every 15000 miles or so. This could be done by your lpg installer although Vovlo dealers have experience of LPG as Volvo did a range of Bi-Fuel cars.

LPG systems come with a swich that allows you to run on either LPG or Petrol so the Petrol system can be proven seaparately. Given that the LPG system mearly hijacks the engine management output signals and injects LPG rather than petrol the systems are fairly independent. The LPG system takes heat from the cooling system to vaporise the gas but that has no impact on the operation of the cooling system.

Resale values appear to be incresed slightly. You will not get the cost of conversion back but providing the LPG has been professionally installed
by a LPGA approved installer there should be no issue. I have not seen an
example of where you would loose on the resale value.

Hope this helps,

Carl

DCO
Mar 31st, 2006, 11:57
Just a minor point, but if anyone uses the tunnel reguarly, vehicles with LPG conversions (or factory fit) are not allowed on the trains. This will no doubt ony affect a very few people, but it can matter to some.

The loss of the spare wheel may also be a problem unless you decide to lose luggage space instead, by keeping the spare wheel inside the vehicle. Re the tyre repair sealants, not wanting to sound all doom and gloom, these don't always work, depending on the type of puncture. I speak from experience!

imac
Mar 31st, 2006, 12:29
Just a minor point, but if anyone uses the tunnel reguarly, vehicles with LPG conversions (or factory fit) are not allowed on the trains. This will no doubt ony affect a very few people, but it can matter to some.
!

Just get the ferry! Not quite as convenient, granted, but I've just booked all my crossings for the up and coming year (14 return crossings total) at a very good rate of £47 each return journey with Norfolkline on their spanking new vessel!

Eurotunnel wanted nearly 4 times as much!

DCO
Mar 31st, 2006, 18:51
Just get the ferry! Not quite as convenient, granted, but I've just booked all my crossings for the up and coming year (14 return crossings total) at a very good rate of £47 each return journey with Norfolkline on their spanking new vessel!

Eurotunnel wanted nearly 4 times as much!

Of course the ferries are an option, I was just pointing out that for those that prefer the tunnel for what ever reasons (concerns about sea sickness for example) it would be a complete no go. Re Norfolk ferries, they often have great prices, but they do not have many sailings each day, so the times may not be suitable.

Personally, although I prefer the tunnel, if the price is more than £20-00 cheaper I use the ferries instead. Any less difference is not worth it to me, as I have an extra 24 miles total to drive to get to Dover, which not only increases the journey time (can be critical if badly held up on the M25 etc!) but taking into account depreciation etc, the extra mileage costs at least £20-00! Last time we went, we used Sea France, which was excellent value, but a complete pain due to delays, but these can happen on anything.

imac
Mar 31st, 2006, 18:53
Of course the ferries are an option, I was just pointing out that for those that prefer the tunnel for what ever reasons (concerns about sea sickness for example) it would be a complete no go. Re Norfolk ferries, they often have great prices, but they do not have many sailings each day, so the times may not be suitable. .

Tip with Norfolkline- Book the ferries in Euros!! If you book in pounds, they are (for example) £68.00 for a return, if you book in Euros, they are 68.00 Euros!

They've just brought in a new fleet of ferries which are brand new and mucho nicer than P&O, SeaFrance and SpeedFerries!

JsR
May 15th, 2006, 23:19
It's all speed dependent - I just got a puncture on the motorway (M4) and had to put on the spacesaver tyre. Ran at 50mph for far too long to feel comfortable and got 33mpg. By the way, it was a Sunday and I had no way of getting a repair or a new tyre - just had to go with it.

Got some peculiar 'old git in a Volvo' looks along the way - I felt like hanging a sign outside telling them all I'd just had a puncture.

Hey-ho

John R

sexysuv69
Jun 20th, 2006, 10:56
18.5L premium petrol for every 100 km city driving.... is how many mpg? Maths experts please help!

JsR
Jun 20th, 2006, 13:15
18.5L premium petrol for every 100 km city driving.... is how many mpg? Maths experts please help!

Quote...

Fuel Consumption
mpg to l/100Km = 282.481 divided by mpg
l/100Km to mpg = 282.481 divided by l/100Km

I picked this up from dieseltalk.co.uk

Hope this helps (and is accurate!)

John R

topkat
Dec 15th, 2006, 03:29
I read with interest how bad an XC90 T6 is on economy..BIG DEAL (I get about 12.0 MPG in mine). If you want economy, buy a Pirius.
If you factor depreciation into the cost of ownership, then the actual economy pales into insignificance.
Just live with it and enjoy the trip.