PDA

View Full Version : 460 Brake pipes

tomjones_46
Dec 7th, 2002, 19:57
Never had a 460 before, usually a 7 series man. I have never needed to replace a brake pipe before, suddenly took 460 for MOT, 4 brake pipes,all on one side of the car corroded!! Two questions, does corroded mean must be replaced or can it mean wire brush rust off and then grease ? If they do need replacing do you purchase them straight and bend 'em yourself. Can you still buy the diy brake pipe kit with flaring tool,,,,,,are these easy to use/successful. Also had coil spring broken......never ever had one of them in 38years of motoring.Is this why 4 series are cheap, or am I being unfair. Thanks for help. Tom J

volvo360r
Jan 2nd, 2003, 22:08
did it fail the mot on pipes, and how old is your 460, if it didnt fail I wouldnt worry about it, sometimes they like to comment about it.

Mav_UK
Jan 3rd, 2003, 07:11
Just like to add that if it didn't fail, but they commented then grease them up to prevent them going anymore (grease them up anyway, it can't hurt......)

As for the quality of the car, I have no idea about the older ones, but my '96 440 seems to have no more 'niggles' than any other modern car. You may not have had a spring go in 38 years, but these things do still break - it's just one of those things!

Good Luck,

Stu

ChrisB
Jan 13th, 2003, 21:19
I had to change the two front pipes on a '93 440.

I used pipe from a reel and a flaring tool to make my own, not a fun job.

Also had a small (2 inch ish) bit of front spring break off. Only noticed it when changing to uprated springs and shocks.

Well built cars really, not really had any bad troubles with mine for a 10 year old car.

Not the easiest to work on though.