PDA

View Full Version : Goodbye XC90....

Ron_XC90
Aug 10th, 2012, 21:25
Part exchanged the xc90 today on a Chrysler Grand Voyager. Due to kids growing older (and taller) we needed more space, hence the change over to a GV.
It's been a great reliable car for the 4.5 Years I've owned it and felt sorry to see it go today.
First impressions of the voyager are actually quite good. ride is very comfortable although it feels much bigger and heavier than the XC.
Fingers crossed that it will be as reliable....

bobdabuilda
Aug 10th, 2012, 21:36
Hope you hang around the forum Ron, good luck with the new car, have a feeling you may return one day!

Ron_XC90
Aug 10th, 2012, 22:41
Hope you hang around the forum Ron, good luck with the new car, have a feeling you may return one day!

Thx Bob, certainly will check in every now and then. As soon as the kids have their own cars or left home (4 Years??) I could very well be shopping at Volvo again. At the moment they just don't have the right car in the assortiment for the family...

outnumbered
Aug 11th, 2012, 19:49
good luck Ron keep in touch:thumbs_up:
mike

KJ4x4
Aug 11th, 2012, 20:30
Part exchanged the xc90 today on a Chrysler Grand Voyager. Due to kids growing older (and taller) we needed more space, hence the change over to a GV.
It's been a great reliable car for the 4.5 Years I've owned it and felt sorry to see it go today.
First impressions of the voyager are actually quite good. ride is very comfortable although it feels much bigger and heavier than the XC.
Fingers crossed that it will be as reliable....

I have recently joined the XC90 fold as my kids won't stop growing, despite many warnings, and Mrs J wanted a 4x4 plus more room (had a Renault Grand Scenic previously, spacious but rear headroom very tight). My boys are both 6'3" and their sister is tall for her age, albeit much younger, so the '90 fits the bill for us. Some friends have had a GV for years and love the space they get with it. Enjoy your new motoring adventure!

ally
Aug 12th, 2012, 13:41
All the best Ron, keep in touch and thanks for all your help and advice on here, there are a few on here who regularly post helpful and knowledgeable answers and you are one of them

gillberry
Aug 12th, 2012, 15:40
All the best Ron, keep in touch and thanks for all your help and advice on here, there are a few on here who regularly post helpful and knowledgeable answers and you are one of them

Quite agree your posts have been very informative Ron .

Ron_XC90
Aug 12th, 2012, 20:42
Thanks all, one of the main things I'm missing for the Voyager is a great forum like this one. There is an American forum but looks like hardly any activity.

Did a 250 ml roundtrip to Somerset today and so far love the ride of the GV. Also averaged 35mpg at a steady 80mph which is something I never managed with the XC.

Few photos attached if anyone interested :)
It's a 2.8 CRD Limited, top of the range spec with additional 2xDVD screens, power doors and boot, Uconnect (satnav, media, handsfree & DVD), electric folding stow 'n go seats, Xenon's, neon interior lighting and all the usual limited spec

bobdabuilda
Aug 13th, 2012, 10:48
Looks nice Ron, what are the safety features like? Did it do ok on the NCAP tests? The kids safety is my main reason for driving the xc90.

Ron_XC90
Aug 13th, 2012, 11:07
It's got all the usual, incl curtain airbags, knee airbag, ESP, traction control, etc
The new version has never been NCAP tested; the older one didn't do very well but this is complete redesign.
On US site it scores 8.5 out of 10
http://autos.msn.com/research/vip/safety.aspx?year=2012&make=Chrysler&model=Town%20%26%20Country&trimid=114018
Never want to find out, but hopefully we'll be ok should it happen...

Edit: Sorry just realised that the 8.5 is the customer reviews. For safety it scored a G (Good) in all areas

ianu
Aug 15th, 2012, 20:41
Quite agree your posts have been very informative Ron .

Good luck too Ron - impressive mpg for the Voyager, I always thought they had a bit of a drink problem. Thanks for your helpful advice too - always much appreciated.

Cheers
Ian.

chb
Aug 15th, 2012, 20:54
Good luck Ron. I suspect it wont be too long before we see you back in the fold.

Big Stew
Aug 16th, 2012, 04:24
It's a pity Volvo don't do a full sized MPV for you to be able to keep with the mark, We will also be swopping our XC90 when the 3years is up on our Motability lease in March, as the XC isn't offered any more due to price. We'll end up with a Vauxhall Antara ,which will suit are towing needs but will miss the XC 90 greatly.

The Painter
Aug 16th, 2012, 13:36
All the best Ron, thanks for your help.

Singapore XC90
Aug 19th, 2012, 09:40
Chevrolet? Seriously?

Is there an eyes rolling emoticon?

Ron_XC90
Aug 19th, 2012, 13:34
Chevrolet??? no.... Chrysler :D

Singapore XC90
Aug 20th, 2012, 04:01
Chevrolet??? no.... Chrysler :D
Hahaha - my mistake. I have driven a lot of American cars over the years and just find them a bit spongy but I sure hope you enjoy your new wheels. Where is the Chrysler built?

Ron_XC90
Aug 20th, 2012, 12:08
The Grand Voyager (or Town & Country as they call it in US) is built in Ontario, Canada.
I have driven the previous model and that one was indeed very spongy and every fast bend was an adventure.
The new model is far better, the ride is a bit harder than the previous model but still very comfortable and evens bumps out very well.
I am amazed by the speed you can actually go around corners in the new one, certainly not worse than the XC90 I had.

I have had the car for just over a week now and have done approx 800 mls in it since, so can give a better view on whats what:

- ride comfort & comfort/space in interior, it really makes the XC feel small inside
- Equipment level, this is the limited version with some additional extra's like mygig entertainment system, 2 fold down dvd screens, etc. really nice system
- power sliding doors and boot
- Stow 'n Go: This one is equipped with the electric folding seats in 3rd row, although mechanical is easy to use as well, it does give the edge folding the seats at the press of a button. By folding 2nd and 3rd row into the floor you have a loading space as large as a transit van
- Seats: Very comfortable and I'm fussy as I'm 1.97 mtrs tall and the leather quality (although a bit slippy) seems to last very well. This car is nearly 3 Years old and the seats all look like new, as does the rest of the interior
- fuel economy: on longer trips managed to average 36mpg at 80mph, need to wait and see what it will do on school runs

dislikes:
- Some parts of the interior trim are made of cheap plastic and doesn't feel like Volvo quality
- Auto gearbox shifts into high gears very quick, great for fuel efficiency but tends to 'hunt' when driving in areas with hills (can't make up it's mind)

let's call a spade a spade, the overall feel of quality is not as high as in the xc90 and some of the trim looks cheap and out of place (aluminium and wood look is very plastic), but compared to the VW Sharan, Ford Galaxy just to name a few the ride and trim levels are far more upmarket & exclusive