PDA

View Full Version : v50 info

macca99
Feb 16th, 2006, 20:20
I am very seriously considering a v50. I have taken the 1.8 version out and was impressed and am looking to do the same with the 2.0 diesel version. Any feedback and opinions on either models would be appreciated. Also do you think it is worth that bit more to upgrade to an SE.

the great one
Feb 16th, 2006, 22:26
i would go for the 2.0 diesel. its quicker, better on fuel you cant go wrong

7050man
Feb 17th, 2006, 10:12
Just bought a 4 month old 2.0 D se. If you are not familier with diesel technology, test one of these. Mid range torque is terrific and you will get over 50 mpg withought too much effort.

My advice , go for it.

Marmoset
Feb 17th, 2006, 11:05
I've had my 20.D SE for just over a year/20k miles now. I still see it as a new car as it still feels very solid and the leather keeps giving off that "new car smell" I think the thing I like more about it is that it's still quite a rare beasty and no-one really gives you any aggro in it - it's a nice looking car that doesn't shout "outta my way" to people.

I get about 44mpg from it, mostly fast m-way driving. Service at the main dealer was over £300 so I'll go independant next time. The sounds system is great once set up (high perfomance grade in SE) The seats are comfy and it's really easy to drive this car all day and still feel relaxed at the end of the journey - I think it's because you can set the car up to do a lot of the thinking for you (ECC, auto wipers etc)

Handling is great, the steering can feel a bit light on first acquaintance, this is my fist Volvo and if it didn't do the corners well I wouldn't have bought one.

Only downside I can see is the fact that the load cover/tray rattles and takes up too much room IMO and the boot isn't the biggest to start with.

I'd say go for the SE as it's nice to have a few toys and it's easy to keep the leather clean.

Overall I'd happily buy another one tomorrow.

Hope this helps

Rich

Bob
Feb 17th, 2006, 12:00
There is a new V50 diesel with the modified D5 2.5 engine due out later this year, and with auto tranny.

Bob

stelreph
Feb 17th, 2006, 15:41
Yes I'm looking forward to trying this. Does anybody know whether the D5 auto unit is likely to go into the S40 as well?

Marmoset
Feb 17th, 2006, 15:46
I would imagine it will, but I'd also imagine that there will be a hefty price rise to accompany it.

Bob
Feb 18th, 2006, 11:04
It's due June/July. I doubt the price will increase by much, as they will want to sell them. As soon as I hear anything it will be posted on our Volvo Press pages.

Bob

SimonV50
Feb 20th, 2006, 13:55
I would thoroughly recommend the V50 SE, i bought mine last May having previously had a Peugeot 306 1.8 auto. I needed an auto for a bad back, but was horrified to find that i would need to go to a 2.4 litre to get the auto-box, thinking it would be a real fuel guzzler. This is not the case, it does virtually the same mpg as the 1.8 Peugeot, but with twice the thrill, the larger engine gives the car that 'big car' feel and it's a real mileage eater, a proper cruiser with bags of power for those 'quick getaways' at traffic lights to put the sports cars to shame. The SE pack is certainly worth the extra and will no doubt help in resale value, though i'm hoping to keep mine long enough to join the high mileage club. I was originally wanting a diesel, but they didn't do an auto, now i've got the 2.4 petrol i don't think i would like to swap to a diesel - this one's too much of a smoothie, sounds fantastic, purr's then you put your foot down and it growls like a tiger.
The only downside to having a Volvo is dealing with those nasty dealers / stealers. I've just taken mine in for an independent service (174 pounds compared to the dealers 325), but the dealers refused to do the annual body check if i didn't have a service done with them - but i phoned Volvo UK and claimed it would be illegal to refuse as it would invalidate the warranty - they reluctantly agreed and persuaded the dealer to do it.
:car-smiley-031:

fao852k
Feb 22nd, 2006, 12:37
I bought a V50 DSE in Nov 05, my first Volvo, and have so far been very pleased with it. I chose the diesel because I thought there was a gap between, what I thought was the underpowered 1.8 and the gas guzzling 2.4. Anyhow, you can't argue with torque that equals that of the T5 and without the fuel consumption penalty. Having said that, I'm not too pleased with my economy, 38/39 average and 43 on a good run, ie 500 mile round trip up to Scotland. I used to have a Golf TDI 130 that would do about 46 with similar usage and 53 on a good run. Still things may get better, as the car has only done just over 3k so far. Ride is a wee bit firm, but as a consequence the handling is good. SE spec is good, nice alloys, leather etc.
Hope this help your decision.

Nige