PDA

View Full Version : Volvo Amazon Tailgates

222s
Feb 25th, 2004, 16:55
GRP Volvo Amazon Tailgates

The top half of the tailgate on my Amazon estate is terminally rusted, and I have been looking for a while now for a rust-free one, but with no success. All the other ones that I have seen have either been obviously rusty (like mine), or with rust just starting to bubble through the paint. Seeing as these panels rot out from the inside, I would not consider any repairs to be worthwhile, since they won't be particulary long lasting due to the virtual impossibility of removing all traces of corrosion from the double skinned areas. :-(

Does anyone know if GRP top-half tailgates are available, and if so, where from? If they are not available, I will probobly have one made. This should also cost the same as (if not considerably less than) having a steel one professionally repaired, but without the worry of the rust returning in a few years time.

If I resort to having a top-half tailgate made in GRP, would anyone else be interested in one? I have already been looking into this, and my preliminary analysis suggests that if done properly (and it will be - there's no point otherwise!) a GRP one would be visually indentical to an original steel one, except for the obvious (and pleasing) absence of any rust bubbles! :-)

I would be very interested to hear other opinions about this problem, and especially if anyone has fitted a heated rear screen or a rear wiper to an Amazon estate.

Many Thanks,

Paul

wellshj
Mar 5th, 2004, 12:52
Paul,

Sounds like something Andy Rowlands (120 register keeper) might like to be informed about as he has a strong interest in the 220s.

Please post to let us know how you get on with finding a supplier as I can think of one or two other parts that could benefit from being made from GRP.

Harvey

222s
Apr 21st, 2004, 16:24
Harvey,

Is this the same Andy Rowlands who runs 'Volhalla', in Devon? I had his phone number somewhere, but have unfortunately managed to lose it :(. If anyone could give me his contact details, that would be much appreciated!

I have finally got myself a spares car to play with, and will be starting the dismemberment this weekend. :) It will be donating its (very rotten) tailgate, which will be used to mould the grp one, and the tailgate aperture / section of bodywork around the tailgate will probobly be cut off to keep for a jig, to ensure good panel alignment of the new tailgate.

As to the supplier, I'm hoping to use the facilities of a friend of the family, who runs a boatyard (they build several different classes of grp sailing dinghy). I have some experience at designing grp mouldings, so although I will be making just the one for myself, there will be proper moulds so others could be made. I expect to be doing most of the labour on this as well to keep the costs down.

Out of interest, which other parts did you have in mind that could benefit from being made in grp?

Paul

1967 Amazon 122S B20 Estate
(1967 121 Estate - spares car!)

maggie
Apr 22nd, 2004, 12:19
Paul,

You can get Andy on 01237 441446 or VOC@andyrowlands.glowinternet.com

I have a '68 Estate and would be very interested in a GRP top tailgate as mine has 'gone' around the hinges. Not sure where you are, but I'd like to see one and be happy to help in the manufacture if needed!

Mat

222s
Apr 22nd, 2004, 13:13
Cheers Mat!

I'm normally based in London, but would be doing the work near Chichester (on the south coast). Unfortunately, I don't have a grp top tailgate to show anyone yet, and this isn't really intended to be a commercial venture on my part, so it won't be ready for quite a while yet, but I hope to start work over the summer.

Thanks for the offer of help - I should warn you that it will be a messy job; however, given access to decent facilities, it won't be that tricky to make. The reinforcing will need to be carefully thought out, especially around the hinges & struts, but fortunately, it's not rocket science! It may even work out that the boat builders mentioned in my previous post may be able to make them outright, for a sensible price, which would be much easier!

Paul

maggie
Apr 22nd, 2004, 13:20
Sounds good.

I'm sure we could get many people interested in a 'produced' item as its such a common problem. If we got an Idea of numbers then we could approach a few places to see about costs?

Yes all to familiar with the messy process as have been involved in making a few bits and bobs in the past - most noteably a Couple of Soapbox Gravity Racers for the Goodwood Festival of Speed. The offer is still open I'm Essex based so not too much of a trek.

Mat

222s
Apr 22nd, 2004, 15:24
Mat,

Personally, if there are enough others interested, I'd much prefer to just club together, and have someone make them. However, I consider it to be a much more complex job than most grp car panel places would be used to, not just in that it would be a two piece moulding, but also the necessary reinforcement to prevent the grp from cracking around the hinges due to the leverage every time it is opened and closed. Compared to a typical grp bonnet or bootlid, there is very little space for such reinforcement. By the sound of it, you know what you are doing with grp, so a second opinion and assistance at that stage would be most appreciated!

To reduce the cost, I will be continuing as planned with the preparation of a rotten tailgate (expanding foam and big tub of filler :-)) to mould from, and I hope to find out soon if a family friend would be prepared let me use the facilities at his boatyard. Either way, I'll post any updates here!

I've just found out that there is a 120 meeting this Sunday (25th April) at the Milestones Museum, Basingstoke, Hants. Are you going? I hope to be able to go along, if I am able to take a break from playing with my spares car. I guess that there would probobly be others there who might be interested.

Cheers,

Paul

maggie
Apr 26th, 2004, 07:50
Shame, I was not aware of the gathering and I passed down the M4 on Sunday too!

Can I suggest we put a item in the Forsale Section Headed '220 Amazon Estate Tailgates' - this way we can get a true number of who would want to part with cash for such an item?

Mat

222s
Apr 27th, 2004, 15:15
I only found out about the meeting just before I posted! There were two other 220s there, and both were dark blue like mine. However, unlike mine, they were shiny when dry.... Still, it was nice to see what a good one looks like!

I have started on the spares car, and the tailgate is ideal for what I have in mind. The rest of the car is the proverbial curate's egg, but it's all as per the vendor's description (I bought it unseen from an ad on this forum).

I will certainly post for numbers interested in the tailgates, but until closer to the time, I won't have any idea of the costs. I mentioned it to Andy Rowlands on Sunday, and I think that he's going to put a notice about it in the club magazine.

Paul

maggie
Jul 21st, 2004, 07:36
Paul,

Any progress on the GRP tailgate? Mine is looking worse by the day!

Mat

222s
Jul 21st, 2004, 11:39
Hi Mat,

I haven't had the chance yet to do anything yet, but I hope to be able to speak soon to the boatbuilder whom I mentioned earlier in this thread.

Will keep you updated!

Paul

(Half of 221 spares car now in boxes...)