PDA

View Full Version : 440 starter motor.

P_Gilliat480
Feb 15th, 2003, 21:36
i need to replace the starter motor on my 440 glt,anyone done this before ? if so is it as involved as the manual says .ie.remove heat shields,exhaust maifolds etc.can it be done from above the car ?.
Paul.

diabolo_687
Jan 14th, 2006, 10:22
Hi..i´ve got a 440 1.8 -89 and i have changed the startermotor on it..it was a pretty boring jobb and took like 4 hours. you maybe can take it from above but i took it from booth sides...you have to remove the heatshields but i never removed the exhaust manifold..It is hard to unscrew all the bolts for the heatshields and i didn´t even put all the heatshields back in place..I did this for half a year ago and nothing have happened with it..it works just fine. My tip is to do it from underneath the car..it is much easier.. i´m from sweden and i bought a brand new startermotor, translated in to £ it costed like 200£..if the car is in a really good shape except the startermotor it could be worth it but otherwise you can try to find a used one.

ciderman
Dec 28th, 2017, 19:00
Oh what fun- I have to change one I think but I cannot see the damned thing!

ciderman
Apr 9th, 2018, 11:05
Not too bad a job- mainly from above shield bolts fiddly.
Just over the hour. I also put a spare wire down to the solenoid as this loom has failed in the past.