PDA

View Full Version : Is my 59 reg Active really not worth £14k?

clam
Sep 10th, 2012, 16:58
I've been looking round to change my nearly 3 year old XC90 Active manual and have to say I am shocked at the P/X prices I've been quoted. Have tried a few manufacturers and they all come in at silly prices, I was hoping that it would at least be above £13.5k but they are no where near.

Am I just being naive? Anyone P/X'd anything similar recently, how did you get on?

It's not got massive mileage, a little over the considered norm at 44k and no dealer has even bothered to check the condition of it to see that it's in reasonable nick.

EdmundIJones
Sep 10th, 2012, 17:11
You will always get a lot less through p/x. A quick look at auto trader suggests people want £16,000 for a 59 plate. That's what people are asking for so any buyer would try to get it for less. You would be better off not part exchanging and selling privately.

kentishdriver
Sep 10th, 2012, 17:48
What youi have to bear in mind is that these were retailing at about £23k when originally sold. So retaining the best part 0f 60% of it's value after 3 years is not too bad.

EdmundIJones
Sep 10th, 2012, 18:28
Also remember that when doing a p/x, a dealer will find ways to offer less for it, wrong colour being the classic. It's black sir, they are impossible to shift, people want white these days. Likewise a classic Jag XJ120 in green, sorry sir, nobody wants British racing green on these British sports cars, it has to be pink, I'll help you out though and give you £1K less.... and so on.

Clan
Sep 10th, 2012, 19:45
I've been looking round to change my nearly 3 year old XC90 Active manual and have to say I am shocked at the P/X prices I've been quoted. Have tried a few manufacturers and they all come in at silly prices, I was hoping that it would at least be above £13.5k but they are no where near.

Am I just being naive? Anyone P/X'd anything similar recently, how did you get on?

It's not got massive mileage, a little over the considered norm at 44k and no dealer has even bothered to check the condition of it to see that it's in reasonable nick.

obviously they are out to make £5000+ for very little work on your misfortune as any car trader would , Do you HAVE to sell it so soon ?

subaqua
Sep 10th, 2012, 20:30
plus the VED is not low, the fuel economy isn't the greatest. people don't want a gas guzzler, especially when fuel is rising almost daily

clam
Sep 10th, 2012, 22:39
What youi have to bear in mind is that these were retailing at about £23k when originally sold. So retaining the best part 0f 60% of it's value after 3 years is not too bad.

Yes, thats a fair point especially as I paid even less than that for it. It just seems so much good car for little money that my heart is having trouble with the reality of the numbers.

obviously they are out to make £5000+ for very little work on your misfortune as any car trader would , Do you HAVE to sell it so soon ?

Indeed, average dealer price seems around the £16k mark which is a very big markup, I expect them to want to make £2k but 4 or 5 seems down right greedy.

Oh well, guess I'll have to ponder...unless anyone fancies a nice Black manual active for a bargain price :thumbs_up:

catbert
Sep 11th, 2012, 10:30
agree with above. Its not just your car. All cars have a huge spread between buy and sell. As Clan says, they are just looking to make a bomb on you. They will stick it on the forecourt for 4-5k more and take an offer of say 17, and still make out. Just keep it imo, and sell it in a year or 2 when private buyers can step in at a lower number. Thats what im planning to do. Even if i have to buy a volvo warrantly for 800 for 2 years, thats not at all bad.

Buck Rogers
Sep 11th, 2012, 14:43
Yes, thats a fair point especially as I paid even less than that for it. It just seems so much good car for little money that my heart is having trouble with the reality of the numbers.

Indeed, average dealer price seems around the £16k mark which is a very big markup, I expect them to want to make £2k but 4 or 5 seems down right greedy.

Oh well, guess I'll have to ponder...unless anyone fancies a nice Black manual active for a bargain price :thumbs_up:

clam,

Just waiting for a PX price now, same as you 59 plate Active. Will post details soon, but fear the worst!

BR

George Holmer
Sep 11th, 2012, 15:32
Sorry if I am being offensive but why P/X? The dealer finds it a hassle and you get more selling it privately. Or am I missing a trick here?

In Reverse
Sep 11th, 2012, 22:49

The fact its a manual wont help either - Glasses trade guide marks them £2k below an auto equivalent. Good luck.

Just play hardball with the price your prepared to give for your new car and hopefully meet somewhere near the middle.

Squirrell
Sep 12th, 2012, 09:48
Remember the manual was £1.5k cheaper than the geartronic in the first place, you can't have it both ways, but the manual may be harder to shift as demand was lower (hence it was dropped from 2011 onwards).

autorev
Sep 12th, 2012, 21:03
Clam,
How many miles/colour/condition/extras/servicing?
I've got a friend who is so impressed with our D5 Active, he's on the lookout.

Also, how far west in the West Country?

gray 3
Sep 12th, 2012, 22:24
Hi
Iam looking for an Active
if you can send me more info that would be great
Thanks
Gray 3

clam
Sep 13th, 2012, 10:38
XC90 D5 Active Manual
59 Plate - October 09
Solid Black
44600miles
Full main dealer service history
Running board/side steps
Westfalia detachable tow bar

I'm near Swindon

autorev
Sep 13th, 2012, 10:52
Clam,
I'm unable to reply to your message as apparently I haven't got 30 posts under my belt.
I'll pass the info on though...
Cheers

gibbo37
Sep 13th, 2012, 12:33
Not meaning to hijack this thread and apologies to Clam if I'm muscling in, but I may be interested in selling my 2010 Active Premium Automatic in solid black.

1 owner from new (myself)
42,000 miles (although in daily use so will increase)
Registered March 2010 - 6 months warranty left
Premium model - Built in Sat Nav with phone (sim card not bluetooth)
Active - Bending headlights (not standard on later models)
Winter pack - Heated seats and headlight washers
Service inclusive - One more free service left (not due until next March)
Privacy glass

Weirdly, also located in Swindon.

I'm not 100% sure I want to sell it as it's been a reliable, comfortable car from day one but thinking I might fancy a change.

Please contact me if anyone is interested.

gray 3
Sep 13th, 2012, 22:25
Hi I am looking for an XC90
I'm unable to reply to your message as apparently I haven't got 30 posts under my belt.
if you both can send pics that would be great
thanks
gray 3