PDA

View Full Version : 440 Pulling to the left

MATHIUS
Mar 9th, 2003, 19:42
My brother has just bought a 1994 440 Li 1.8. The car is tip top, But it pulls to the left. I had the wheels balanced and the tracking done and it is still doing it. Can anyone shed any light on this matter?????

Many thanks in advance.

Matt

Peter Milnes
Mar 9th, 2003, 21:47
Did the people set the steering gear to central before they started? It is important to do this as you want the car to go straight ahead with the steering wheel in it's straight ahead position. You may need to have the rear wheel toe-in checked as well.

All the best, Peter

Dan F
Mar 10th, 2003, 08:42
Hi.

As well as the above, check that all tyre pressures are correct.
Once that is done you can try what I did when that happened to me on one of my old 440s.... swap the front two wheels around.
Sounds strange but it is something to do with how certain tyres (even ones from the same batch) can pull differently just due to how they have been made.

Worked a treat when I tried it (fairly new tyres, both seemingly identical) and it just didn't seem feasible, but it worked!!

Of course if both your front tyres are different makes or types, then I think it will pay you to get a pair of identical tyres on the front and try that.

Later,
Dan.

Joe440Andrew460
Mar 10th, 2003, 19:11
Hi there!!

We have a 1995 440Si and that also pulls to the left!! According to our Volvo dealer they all do it, a characteristic from the adaptation to right hand drive apparently.

Mind you, ours has been nicknamed Moaning Myrtle as the driveshaft on the nearside is on its way out too!!!

Peter Milnes
Mar 10th, 2003, 23:16
Time to change your dealer for one who is prepared to be serious about his job. Seems like yours is a candidate for the black list.

All the best, Peter

ChrisB
Mar 11th, 2003, 01:31
All cars seem to do it to varying degree's. I have heard a few things about manufacturers making them that way. Kill a pedestrian rather than another car if you nod off to sleep...

Anyway. In addition to the things already mentioned:

- Wishbone inner bushes, they will no doubt be due for a change if they are original. £9 each, can do them yourself with a decent vice and bits to press the new ones in.

- Broken spring. Can happen, and the ride hight may even stay normalish.

- Other bushes/joints. Bottom ball joints, ARB joints etc.

Mine was quite bad, but the tracking was out a lot. It still pulls a little, not really noticable (most roads are cambered even if you cant see it anyway). Wishbone bushes are due though and are on my hit list.