PDA

View Full Version : Even more V480 ES

alfonzobonzo
Mar 25th, 2003, 14:37
Some one beem me up!1

just had a look at my exhaust, to fix it, bugger, the flange has sheered off the downpipe, where it attches to th cat. I thought i had just lost the nuts!!!

I've bin quoted 200 sob's to get it replaced, got no choice , AAAHHHHHHHHH!

PLUS drrove the car to the garrage and BLOW ME, cant shut the drivers door! seems to be something wrong with the door stay?? ended up having to force it closed, no doubt doing untold dammage inside the door.

Any donations kindly recieved, its bin a bad day.

Why me...

sob

sob sob

.....etc..

Peter Milnes
Mar 25th, 2003, 23:30
Why not get your friendly local welder to weld the flange back on, can't cost more than a fiver at the most. It is easy to make up a flange to fit.

All the best, Peter

alfonzobonzo
Mar 26th, 2003, 06:23
I think the devious sod who sold it to me has already had that done,

On closer inspection, it looks as though the front pipe has been cut back, the old flange welded back on, and then the rest of the ehaust system moved up the vehicle by about 2inches, it also looks as though some of the length lost has been taken up by not fitting the cat to the rear section fully, and there appears to be some kind of heat paste sealent aronund the old botched weld infront of the cat, I hope none of this has managed to get blown into the cat, causing it to fail its next emmissions.

I may have just been unlucky, but i think this is a classic case of "Ive just had it MOT'd mate, just to make sure there was nothing wrong before i sell" ~ translated "Ive just had it MOT'd by my mate just to make sure it takes you upto 12 months to find out what a pri*k i am"

Hehe ;o)

shurely if the exhaust system is that rotten around a flange that it could sheer off 200 miles after the MOT, then any mot inspection should fail this??

Also isnt inoperable windscreen washers a MOT fail also??

Dan F
Mar 26th, 2003, 14:16
Hi Alfonz.
I would take the car to get it MOT'd again at a garage of your choice and if it doesn't pass, either take it back to the guy that sold it to you and ask how he managed to get an MOT for it and get him to pay for the remedial work, or just bite the bullet and get all the things professionally repaired that need doing and then enjoy the car.

Sounds like a new exhaust system is required straight away.

Don't waste money getting it repaired, get a whole new (stainless steel) system.

Later,
Dan.

alfonzobonzo
Mar 26th, 2003, 14:40
Hi Dan, i agree but Lifes too short, (calmed down abit now, and the drivers door seems to have sorted itself out. Tacho has worked 3 journeys on the trot asswell!!!)

Despite my rocky start with the car, I havent lost faith in it. so i'll just get the work done or do it myself. I dont mind .

i guess i just class myself as a fairly honest bloke, & treat people as i would expect to be treated, ya know, so lashing something together badly just to get rid of it just isnt my style.

I got the downpipe replaced this afternoon at a cost of 178.oo notes, and when the rest needs doing (i give it 6 months) i'll probably like you say get stainless, although the down pipe isnt.

the car only cost me 1750.00 and its an L reg, I think the rest of it looks and feels sound,