PDA

View Full Version : Steering: - At full lock should I feel front wheels pulling

n1ckxc90
Oct 11th, 2012, 15:55
Just driven home from work and turning out of tight car park I noticed the front wheels felt like they were pulling, which they are supposed too I know....but felt like they were ready to spin....it's an '07 with full VSH main dealers...should I be looking to test it and get it to spin to see if the rears are working...

Am sure it's prob me and it'll be ok but just read the thread on AWD failure so am pretty nervy now !

Cheers

Coconut
Oct 11th, 2012, 17:07
... the front wheels felt like they were pulling ...

Sorry - Don't know what you mean ???

The front wheels are always pulling the car along, but if they lose traction
and start to spin, then the AWD kicks in - where power is applied to drive
the rear wheels in addition to the front.

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d129/coconut11/Coconut1.jpg

n1ckxc90
Oct 11th, 2012, 17:23
sorry...was in a car park and it felt a bit similar to my old discovery 1 when we used to test the diff locks by engaging lock and then using the steering on a carpark...I could just feel the front wheels pulling....but speaking to a friend at a garage just now, he's says it's normal but he'll give it a look anyway !

Any thoughts are welcomed though

Beavis
Oct 11th, 2012, 18:22
thats how mine feels when on full lock pulling out of a tight 90' junction near my house. did you drive over any metal road coverings when you felt it, as as soon as the outer wheel hits a metal manhole cover it feels as you described.

my AWD is working as i visually seen them work on last years snow and the diff does not spin.

n1ckxc90
Oct 11th, 2012, 19:20
StuT4...Bang on...over a manhole and feel it wanting to slip....heavy right boot maybe but feels like a diff that won't unlock !!

Anyway it's working ok....been down to mates garage and MOT rolling road test showed rear wheels working when fronts lose grip....happyness restored !