PDA

View Full Version : 480 es tuning

Fletch
Apr 1st, 2003, 16:48
Hi I have just got a 480 es on a G plate everything works and no leaks as yet and its rained all day, I dont know much about cars but could anyone give me a few tips on a cheap easy way to get a bit mor acceleration out of my beauty

Thanks
Fletch

C6REW
Apr 1st, 2003, 19:32
Hi Fletch,

Welcome to the world of 480 motoring. If you log on to http://www.volvo-480-europe.org/ they have a tuning section and the guys on there seem very good at sorting out tuning their cars.

You will also see in the meeting section we have a meeting on 19th April in Devizes, Wilts where you can bring the car and I am sure the other owners will be only too pleased to give advice.

If you want to go to the meeting send me an email to chris@swi.org.uk.

Regards

Chris

Fletch
Apr 3rd, 2003, 12:10
Thanks unfortunately I cant make that meeting but I hope to be able to go to one soon. also Ineed some help I have noticed when I switch my engine off there is a noise that sounds like a motor running, its not the fan its actually coming from a small bit bolted to the body just to the right of the engine and it has a tube about an inch to 2 inches in diamiter coming from it and going to the fan or radiator area. It does not happen every time but more often than not, but if a start my engine and switch it off a few times it stops.It also stops if I turn the key to the setting before starting the car, any help or Ideas would be greatly appreciated

Fletch

ChrisB
Apr 3rd, 2003, 22:30
Turbo's have an electric water pump that runs for a bit after switch off depending on how hot the engine is.

Is that what you have?

Dan F
Apr 4th, 2003, 09:16
Hi.

It isn't just turbo models that have these auxiliary water pumps it is the 1.7i engines too.

It can run for up to 15 minutes to cool the engine down thoroughly.
I wouldn't make it stop if I were you, as it is designed to run after the engine has been switched off to prevent the head from warping amongst other things.
The carb engines used the main cooling fan to cool the carb for up to 15 mins after the engine had been switched off to prevent warping, in much the same way.

The later models 1.6, 1.8 and 2.0 cars had a revised cooling system that was more efficient and therefore did not require the auxiliary pump.

Don't worry about it, it is supposed to do it and is not a problem; Just make sure your battery is in good nick! ;-)

Cheers,
Dan.

Fletch
Apr 4th, 2003, 10:11
Thanks guys cheers guys you have put my mind at rest appreciate all your help.

Fletch