PDA

View Full Version : Colour Coding

Daniel M
Apr 1st, 2003, 17:56
Hi all.
I`ve got `94 440. I`m looking to colour code the rubstrips on the doors, front and rear bumpers, and the trim on the roof which follows down the window pillars. Has anyone attempted this or have any similar experiences? Is there a special technique or special solutions i need in the paint? Any reccomendations?

Thankyou in advance for any help, Dan

GorgeousGeorge
Apr 2nd, 2003, 09:04
dan

i'm sure i read over on vvspy a while ago about someone using sticky plastic from a sign makers to do this, what it would look like is anybodies guess but worth a thought

cheers

scott

ChrisB
Apr 2nd, 2003, 14:29
You need to alter the paint and method you use when spraying plastics. A decent spray shop will know what to do.

Normal paint will crack. You need to use a plastic primer which is more flexible.

I was wondering what it would be like with the door ones removed. They are only stuck on with a glue.

Daniel M
Apr 2nd, 2003, 15:28
Hi.
Thanks for the advice. I may consider leaving the door ones off, i`ll see what it looks like when i remove them. The only reservation i have is people opening their doors onto mine-my mate deeply regrets removing his because he now has several dents on his door that he cant get out-i know a rubstrip if sprayed would scratch, but at least i could touch a rubstrip up and it wouldn` notice as much as a dent! I`ll look into it i think, but i will definatly be colour coding. Thanks for the advice guys! Dan.

ChrisB
Apr 2nd, 2003, 15:42
Yeah, thats one of the reasons they stayed on my last one.

But thinking most new cars don't have them and seem ok. Just as long as you avoid busy car parks (especially supermarket ones!) I think it would be ok.

Daniel M
Apr 2nd, 2003, 19:20
Yes, avoidance of busy super market car parks would be a good idea, if it wasn`t for one thing...i work in a supermarket, and because of crappy building work, the staff park is completly cut off!! I have no option to park anywhere but single mum`s parking spaces and old dears 180 degree opening doors! Touchwood, my car has not been hit yet, but sod`s law, as soon as those strips come off... I know what you mean r.e. new cars not having strips, so if its good enough for a 17k car, im sure its good enough for me. Like i said, i`ll see how it looks. Oh, and are you the same Chris B from brickboard who i`ve spoken too before? I think you are, just want to make sure. If you are, hows the new ovloV coming along?

ChrisB
Apr 2nd, 2003, 23:46
The one and the same. :D

There's a post about it in performace section. All stripped now going for a rally/track type affair. Certainly good fun.