PDA

View Full Version : 480ES 2.0L i performance any worthwile upgrade?

alfonzobonzo
Apr 23rd, 2003, 09:29
Has anyone looked into any tweaks for this engine B20F, Is it possible, is it worth it etc....

Comments appreciated.

Dan F
Apr 28th, 2003, 10:56
Hi.

I used a K&N replacement panel filter and a shot of slick 50 in mine.

Went like a dream and never used oil.

You can do an ECU upgrade and put a performance exhaust on it, all that little lot should net you about 18 extra BHP give or take.

Cheers,
Dan.

alfonzobonzo
Apr 28th, 2003, 11:42
thanks dan, i'll look into these options

alfonzobonzo
Apr 30th, 2003, 16:56
Dan, can you remember the k&n part number, had a look on there site

is it for the "400" part no.33-2739

how much extra do you think i'd get if i replaced the cat with a tube?
+ how much louder would this be? any ideas? some sites say that that is worth 15 bhp alone

;o)

Ben H
May 3rd, 2003, 14:30
I would take a very strong pinch of salt with any easy tuning options that claim significant power increases on normally-aspirated (non-turbo) cars. It is true that the breathing systems of cars are often quite restrictive. It is also true in princliple that supplying colder, denser air (that's part of what forced induction does) and increasing the free-flow of the exhaust system will make an engine more powerful. But...

In practice, and espcially in isolation, an "induction kit" (not to be confused with a replacement element) will tend to make a lot of noise and make you think you've gained power. It is no coincidence that most serious racers use the original airbox, since it is a sealed air induction system and won't draw in hot air from the engine as an IK often does. Many owners buy an IK, realise that it loses them power/torque in hot weather and use it only occasionally or for the sound. Having said that, on my 16v I found that my 1/4 mile time was 14.8 secs with an IK and 15.0 with the airbox. This may just be variation in my technique, but it also points to the benefit of an IK at speed - when it has cold air forcibly rammed into it - and to the benefits that accrue when used in conjunction with the more serious mods the engine has (cams, head, verniers etc).

A de-cat pipe would never give you 15bhp. It might on a highly restrictive exhaust system such as that found on standard Impreza Turbos, but not on a NA 2.0 Volvo. I would predict 1-4bhp from such a modification, accompanied by a very Nova-esque soundtrack (unless you get a silenced one).

The thing is that people often do these mods together, believing the various power claims given by manufacturers of "performance" spark plugs, de-cats, exhausts, IKs etc. Eventually, their 120bhp 2.0 Volvo ends up with 150bhp!!! That, of course, is impossible without major surgery to the head and cams, not to mention cam timing etc.

Moreover, even if you get a realistic 5-10bhp extra from a chip, exhaust, filter etc, it won't feel like much on the road and will not guarantee victory over a standard car. These mods tend to make the car nicer to drive, iron out flat-spots and make a nice noise. In my experience, a car has to be carrying a lot more bhp to pull away from a standard one and make the extra power/torque at all revs.

If you do these mods expecting a slightly more driveable car that irons out flat spots and sounds nicer, you're on the right track. If you expect major power gains, then I will point you in the direction of more effective engine tuning such as turbo-charging, head work and timing mods.