PDA

View Full Version : XC70 Engine Tune

JimmyMac
Mar 3rd, 2006, 18:01
Does anybody know how much a engine chip from volvotuning is likely to cost?

I have been caravanning for many years and have recently bought a 2003 XC70 D5(163bhp).

It is a magnificent car i must say but my only niggle is due to the increase in weight over my car before this (2004 V70 D5 163bhp) and my towing requirements i am considering having the engine ECU upgraded.

I belive the new ECU upgrade can increase torque and BHP up to 197bhp?

Does anybody know if this is geniuine, and has anybody anymore information about prices, reviews or has anybody had it fitted themselves?

Any information greatly appriciated! Jimmymac

imac
Mar 3rd, 2006, 18:16
Does anybody know how much a engine chip from volvotuning is likely to cost?

I have been caravanning for many years and have recently bought a 2003 XC70 D5(163bhp).

It is a magnificent car i must say but my only niggle is due to the increase in weight over my car before this (2004 V70 D5 163bhp) and my towing requirements i am considering having the engine ECU upgraded.

I belive the new ECU upgrade can increase torque and BHP up to 197bhp?

Does anybody know if this is geniuine, and has anybody anymore information about prices, reviews or has anybody had it fitted themselves?

Any information greatly appriciated! Jimmymac

Rica do a 204 or 210bhp map @ £590 I think.

BSR do a map which costs £560.

Powerklick do a tuning box for around £240 who are meant to be very good and worth a try possibly?

I'm going to try a Powerklick on my D5, and then try a RICA demo car and decide if the RICA is worth the extra money.

edzmicro
Mar 7th, 2006, 13:33
I have the 163bhp D5 XC90 - new June 05 - remapped after 3 weeks by Chip Tuning - involving a remap of the ECU - no nasty box or connectors involved whatsoever.

I drove the car for about 3 weeks prior to remap - and allowing for the new tight engine was "ponderous and relatively noisy" due to the extra work asked of pulling the heavier geartonic D5 - previous car was the manual S60 D5.

After the remap the car was transformed - Quiter - faster - smoother and slightly more economical - average over the last 9 months with very few longer journeys is 30.6 mpg.

I have tried 2 other D5's at the dealer since and they appeared to be different cars to mine - the mechanic who tried mine not knowing its remap history could not understand why it was so different to the other new cars tested.

Chip Tuning is contactable on 01527 577710 - www.chiptuninguk.com.

Be aware though that the V70 will be extremely quick with this remap as it boosts the power of the XC90 D5 Euro III 163 from
163 to 204 / 210 bhp
340 to 435 / 475 torque

tj101c70
Mar 7th, 2006, 18:27
I also have a 05 year XC90, (my 4th)
All the previous 3 ran a PSI tune box, along with my current one, an improvement on the standard 163bhp,, until Christmas,, when I downloaded a RICA upgrade to the ecu,(£590) Certainly now pulls much better than standard car, and noticeably more that the powerbox,

stevec
Apr 18th, 2006, 16:42
Hi,
don't know if this helps or confuses but I fitted a "tuningbox" to my xc90 d5 (163), which greatly improved torque low down but whenever I really put my foot down e.g. overtaking when towing and revs > about 3500 rpm I received a warning message "engine service required", closely followed by "URGENT - engine service required" (eek!) and the car went into limp mode. Dead embarassing when having to abandon an overtake going up motorway hills etc!

All reset fine by stopping the car and switching engine off and on again, but before it was fitted the car revved freely to 4500 quite happily?1

Will take up with supplier and seek refund as I have removed the box now, used to have a PSI on previous car [suzuki] and had no problems with that.

...should've gone for the RICA in the first place....I was a cheapskate!!:thinking2:

imac
Apr 18th, 2006, 17:18
Hi,
don't know if this helps or confuses but I fitted a "tuningbox" to my xc90 d5 (163), which greatly improved torque low down but whenever I really put my foot down e.g. overtaking when towing and revs > about 3500 rpm I received a warning message "engine service required", closely followed by "URGENT - engine service required" (eek!) and the car went into limp mode. Dead embarassing when having to abandon an overtake going up motorway hills etc!

Oh dear.

I've had my tuning box on now for about 1,000 miles with no problems whatsoever. I did heavily research beforehand though and went with a well-known and proven name!

imac
Apr 18th, 2006, 17:20
- no nasty box or connectors involved whatsoever.

Purely out of interest, since I have one, what is nasty about the box or connectors? :fear:

yeoman
Apr 19th, 2006, 16:23
Has anyone heard of( Diesel tuner.co.uk )or used their product?
A mate recommended them.
Is an ECU remap not detectable by a main dealer?

DCO
Apr 20th, 2006, 19:02
After the remap the car was transformed - Quiter - faster - smoother and slightly more economical - average over the last 9 months with very few longer journeys is 30.6 mpg.

Hi,

Is your XC90 a manual or Geartronic gearbox?

It will be interesting to see how well the transmission, differentials etc. cope with the extra power and torque. With the extra loadings, there are obviously higher stresses on the various drive train components which has to reduce their life to some extent. However how much different is their life with normal driving? If any Volvo experts know of any weak areas on the XC90 drive train, I would like to hear about them.

Otherwise, the whole thing sounds great, and if the fuel consumption improves as well, the conversion will even pay for itself eventually.

tj101c70
Apr 20th, 2006, 19:32
Has anyone heard of( Diesel tuner.co.uk )or used their product?
A mate recommended them.
Is an ECU remap not detectable by a main dealer?

Not used on of theirs, always ran the PSI, (over 30k, on various D5,s,,,V70,XC70 & 90) not had any problem,

The Remap is not detectable by VIDA (Volvo tool) until driven ! :)
!
Fuel usage is not easy to tell, as only 9000 miles so still running in,The D5's do get much better,as the miles climb,,

Current XC90 was on a PSI box from 1000 miles, to 8000, so only 1000 on the remap, so far have a feeling a little worse than the PSI box,
The box returned very little mpg figures with it fitted or not, only went for the remap, as the XC needs all the help it can get when towing etc
Brother runs a V70 D5 05 year, also with a remap, and has seen no difference in mpg

lisa@rowly.f2s.com
Nov 30th, 2006, 21:15
Like the idea of ecu remap but am a complete technophobe!!

Why does Volvo not detect the remap at service - or does it?

Don't want ecu being returned to factory settings!

Who would you send your prized possession to for remap? - don't want cheap and nasty!:speechless-smiley-6

tj101c70
Nov 30th, 2006, 22:12
Like the idea of ecu remap but am a complete technophobe!!

Why does Volvo not detect the remap at service - or does it?

Don't want ecu being returned to factory settings!

Who would you send your prized possession to for remap? - don't want cheap and nasty!:speechless-smiley-6

Lisa ? The remap is the way to go, the only way Volvo can tell its been reprogrammed, is when its driven ! as the original software is re-written and downloaded into the ECU,

There is not reason during service, for the dealers to download the org std software into the ECU, unless you have a engine management problem, If they do, As the remap is specific to your chassis number, should not be a problem to have the remap put back in again !

I know where to get it done in the south west, but your area ??? had the 185 Exe done a couple of months back, :)
Do a search !!