PDA

View Full Version : 440 dash issues....

rob_maz
May 1st, 2003, 16:16
hello, can anyone help me, the dash lights (and lights for heater controls etc) in my volvo 440 (91) dont come on. The interior lights work and the bulb blown indicator is also working. Is this a simple issue of replacing a bulb or 2, and if so how?? Or is is something more serious??
Thanx in advance
r

Daniel M
May 1st, 2003, 18:35
Hi
Firstly if i were you, i`d check your fuse box-i dont think every single bulb in the dash would wear out. If the fuse is ok, then the bulbs may need replacing. It is a well known fact that bulbs blow left right and centre in the earlier model 400`s. A Haynes manual would be a very handy thing to have (about £15), it`s a long process taking the dash out if you have never done it before. Be warned though, where i come from, bulbs cost around £1.50 each, and there are alot of bulbs to consider! As i said, get a Haynes manual and use that, it will come in very handy throughout your 440 ownership! If you need any more help, don`t hesitate to ask!

Goodluck, Dan.

Daniel M
May 2nd, 2003, 19:08
Hi.
Just experimenting with file attachments...

Dan

karlos
May 6th, 2003, 12:14
Hi

I replaced the bulbs in my 95 440 dash after they were pretty dim compared to the radio/heater controls.

It is a bit of a job. The Haynes manual tells you to disable the airbag and remove the steering wheel, but I didn't quite fancy doing that. I managed to get the whole console out with a screwdriver and fingers and thumbs. It took a little bit of careful persuasion and a few choice words to get there.

The bulbs are 3W capless, fairly large in size for an instrument bulb. My local supplier could only come up with 5W bulbs, so I tried them and they are much brighter compared to the 3W, and cheaper too I imagine! There were 5 in total.

The bulbs are not too bright, but can be adjusted using the instrument panel illumination wheel under the steering wheel.

Hope this helps,

Karl

rob_maz
May 6th, 2003, 17:38
>Hi
>Firstly if i were you, i`d check your fuse box-i dont think
>every single bulb in the dash would wear out. If the fuse is
>ok, then the bulbs may need replacing. It is a well known
>fact that bulbs blow left right and centre in the earlier
>model 400`s. A Haynes manual would be a very handy thing to
>have (about £15), it`s a long process taking the dash
>out if you have never done it before. Be warned though, where
>i come from, bulbs cost around £1.50 each, and there are
>alot of bulbs to consider! As i said, get a Haynes manual and
>use that, it will come in very handy throughout your 440
>ownership! If you need any more help, don`t hesitate to
>ask!
>
>Goodluck, Dan.

hiya Dan,
thanx for the reply (thanx to karlos also :).
I have checked out the fuses and they seem ok, i also have replaced many of the bulbs (i finally got behind the dash-used karlos' method). However the dash backlight still doesn't work- as u can imagine its v irritating while driving at night. Neither does the back-light behind the heater, is it all linked perhaps???
Another thing that is odd-not sure if its related but my "bulb failure" light is constantly on. I checked the manual and it says that it could be either the :
- Dipped-beam filament (??)
- tail light
- brake light or day running light
I checked as many as i could and only found that my front parkers are not working. I also changed the bulbs but still the bulb failure light remains on and the vechile lighting swith indicator does not turn on (symbol of a lamp lit up). Its driving me crazy!!!
Any further ideas, i must admit i have not really worked alot with cars however i am well getting into this and am v eager to solve it.
Look forward to any input.
r :)

karlos
May 6th, 2003, 18:56
Have you tried the regulator under the streering wheel? This alters the intensity of the dash/console lights.

It pops out after a bit of prising.

This is connected in the circuit and I'm guessing if the circuit is broken before or after this the lights will go out.

hope this helps

Karl

IanFerguson
Mar 30th, 2009, 18:44
The Haynes manual tells you to disable the airbag and remove the steering wheel, but I didn't quite fancy doing that. I managed to get the whole console out with a screwdriver and fingers and thumbs. It took a little bit of careful persuasion and a few choice words to get there.

I, too, managed to get the instrument panel out without taking the steering wheel off, but I have a 440Si, which has a tilt steering wheel, and I had to move it to its lowest position. Not all the models and versions covered by the Haynes manual had a tilt steering wheel, and it seems quite possible that on those which don't, it would be necessary to take the steering wheel off?

bvs
Mar 30th, 2009, 20:55
On my 440 the bulb failure light is solely for the brake lights - as soon as I touch the brakes the fail light goes out.

cheers baz

Graham Harwood
Mar 31st, 2009, 21:20
I'd be careful using the higher wattage bulbs. Its ok if you dim them but if you don't, the black coating can lift off the speedo etc because of the extra heat and the lights on all the time. I had to replace my speedo face as a result.

carl4u44
Apr 15th, 2009, 21:59
Check the retrostat fuse in the fuse box. This controls the dimmer wheel under your steering wheel and can be missed out when checking fuses for blown bulbs! :thumbs_up:

daddydom
Mar 6th, 2011, 22:19
Did you ever find a solution to your dead dash lights?
I am having the same problem, it is really annoying and almost cost me 3 points last night. Trying to guess 60mph whilst having a police car behind me for 20 miles is a bit stressful.

warning lights and clock lights etc are all fine, just backlight for dials not working. help!

B20F
Mar 7th, 2011, 09:51
Did you replace the bulbs? The're 1.2watts capless bulbs (http://www.partsforvolvosonline.com/product_info.php?cPath=515_544&products_id=6661) iirc. Replace them all while you're at it.

daddydom
Mar 16th, 2011, 21:41
I have replaced the bulbs behind dash dials and still no backlighting, fuses are all fine. I'm wondering If I should just re-wire it myself with a feed from the light switch. Any more advice before I start to cannibalize my electrical system?
Also my heater lights not working as in another previous post - seems a coincidence, ever get to the bottom of it?