PDA

View Full Version : Info Centre working now - but no backlight!!!

breezie
May 9th, 2003, 15:28
Hi folks,

Quick query, Ive just managed to get the infocentre working again (finally) and am pleased as punch.
Unfortunately, the backlight is out rendering the fact that the thing is working incredibly futile!!

How hard is it for me to get the dash off and replace/bulb check connections/get the bloody thing working?

Could someone supply me with a step by step list of procedures to go through. I have noticed the plastic surrounding the dial cluster is incredibly thin and would love to know the exact way to take it to bits!

Also, what bulb will I require?!

Many thanks for any help offered!

Tony.

C6REW
May 9th, 2003, 17:04
Hi Tony,

This is a straightforward job but you must be totally aware that the 480 is made from lightweight brittle plastic!

Remove the clock, fan switch and info centre switch by inserting small screwdriver down side and pushing sideways.

Remove small panel at top left of dash which will either be blank or have alarm red led on.

Remove screw from behind above small panel and screw from behind fan switch in bottom left of dahs. Remove two screws from under the bottom of the dash and two from under top of dash.

Pull out the light rotary switch and slide out fog and heated rear window switch. Remove two screws behind the fog and heated switches.

To the right of the dash info centre itself you will see two screws remove these and pull dash from right and out of insert on left.

Remove two large plugs in back with a little arm and head twisting.

The info centre light is a halogen one that is on the top left when viewed from the back. Cost is I believe about £10.

Have fun and remember to treat the dash with respect otherwise it will break, otherwise a very simple job.

If you decide not to do this for a little while I will be removing my dash and taking photos over this weekend and will be happy to send piccys to you if you send me your email address to chris@swi.org.uk. But be patient as if the weather is bad I may not do it this weekend. As a matter of interest my intention is to make an extension lead so I can carry out tests on the dash as I have a problem with my info centre and believe it is something to do with the ignition switch.

Regards

Chris

levensnevel
May 9th, 2003, 18:15
Breezie and Chris,

just check out
http://www.volvo-480-europe.org/
> volvo 480
> 480 - FAQ
> F.A.Q. - DASHLIGHTS ARE DULL - HOW TO REPLACE?
here you can find all info and piccys you need .
Trust that the both of you will become a dashboard hero quite soon ;)

levensnevel

a smile every mile

C6REW
May 9th, 2003, 23:45
Hi Levensnevel,

You must recognise my handle, already on 480 Europe Club. And have had the dash out on many many occasions. Takes approx 5 minutes to remove!

Repaired my first on board computer in 90' on a 89' 480ES. Reckon I was one of the first to find tracks broken. Told the Volvo garage and they said they had never heard of it before!! They quoted me back then something like £500 cannot remember for sure.

Regards

Chris

levensnevel
May 10th, 2003, 06:06
Yes Chris,

I know you are one of the very regular participants on the 480 Europe Messageboard
http://pub32.ezboard.com/bvolvo480
But while reading your 1st reply I was under the impression that you overlooked the FAQ section on our 480 Europe website. You wouldn't be the first one, and probabely not the last I am afraid, who is unaware of all the little treasures of information which are hidden there ;)
I humbly apologize for the fact that I didn't realize your hands on experience though, Dashboard Superman ;)

levensnevel

a smile every mile

C6REW
May 10th, 2003, 08:57
Hi Levensnevel,

No offence taken of course.

I am just off to my office workshop to make an extension lead for the two plugs that go on the back of the instrument panel as it seems to me that the biggest problem is trying to identify faults whithout having access to the panel when wired up.

I will keep you informed of the success of this little project which is using my donor vehicle panel and wiring.

Having looked in depth at our wonderful if foreign language electrical wiring diagram on the 480 Europe site I have a strong feeling that my problem is down to the +ve feed coming from the ignition switch. But of course it is impossible to check this with the panel as it is.

Regards

Chris

breezie
May 12th, 2003, 09:05
Wow!!!

Many many thanks for this, mate!
I will spend an hour or two later on examining this in detail. Dont worry bout the pics, I think your explanation is more than adequate!

Cheers again!

Tony