PDA

View Full Version : 460 immobiliser

creminkieran
May 9th, 2003, 16:29
the immobiliser on my 1996 460 does not respond to the remote control on occasion, this has left me stranded on numerous occasions. (its not the remotes ). could anybody tell me how to disable the immobiliser.

Daniel M
May 12th, 2003, 10:13
Hi

Ive got a `94 440, and the car has unlocked, but not disabled the immob. also. Ive found two ways which did work.

1-When the alarm went off, getting out of the car, manaully locking the door and waiting for the alarm to stop, then pressing and holding the second button on the remote for about 10 seconds. I found this usually reset the system, but not always after the first attempt.

2-A tad tedious, but carry a socket so that if it does happen, u can pop the bonnet, disconnect the positive on the battery, leave for about a minute, then reconnect-but make sure you have your old radio code before you do it!

I found these helped, however, after disconnecting my battery recently and installing a massive stereo system, the alarm has changed and is more efficient than before. Dont know why, it just happened.

Hope they can be of sum help, good luck,

Dan

Joe440Andrew460
May 12th, 2003, 19:15
Hi all

Just been reading and thought we'd add a suggesstion.

take the car to a volvo dealer and get them to check the prtogramming of your immobilser to the keyfob remote just to make sure that they are still talking to each other!
Our 95 N reg 440 did just this last weekend and after a visit to the dealer for other things we got it checked out and that was the problem!

Dont try to immobilise the immobiliser - you could invalidate your insurance if it got nicked and on recovery they found that it wasnt working - the swines wont pay out!! (even if not disclosed to the insurers they know it has one!!!)

Just a thought....
being fore-warned is fore-armed!

Andrew & Joe

zeber
May 3rd, 2006, 01:14
Good question about disabling the damned thing! Really annoying, especially if you try to save some fuel in traffic jam.
I seem to be paying the same insurance for my Volvo 440 fitted with immobiliser as I did for a little older one without this feature. And I can't imagine anyone wanting to nick an 11 years old car, even if it's a Volvo :)
Any ideas how to disable the immobiliser?
Thanks!
Renata