PDA

View Full Version : New user Are 480's this bad ?? Help needed!

mikeh123
May 9th, 2003, 18:33
Well I bought a 92 J 480 running in good order and ALL the electrics worked. Brilliant . 4 weeks on I'm having trouble and could do with some advice.

I installed a CD player the info centre (fuel gauge) died on me. The backlight works but no readings. A mechanic said there is a signal to the switch and the switch is sending a signal to the unit. He said I needed a new fuel gauge unit. I can't afford to risk much on testing this.

Hose to coolant pump burst, engine slightly overheated. Got it all fixed now the tranmission makes a funny noise changing to third like a slip and whelp. When it hits fourth the car noticibly brakes a little as it goes up. Auto box obviously. Now my theory is that the cooling system helps keep the transmission fluid cool and when the water all leaked out the fluid burnt . I had a sniff of the tranny fluid and yes it's burnt.
Now I have some fluid, couldn't get the drain plug open. Will try again with about a 5 mm allen key but it is a square key , can't seem to get hold of one. Will the fluid change help ?? is there a filter to change, is it easy ??. The car has done 90K so I'd expect a volvo tranny to last longer

It seems every time I get in the car another bulb has gone, speedo, rev counter and oil pressure so far. Is there anything with the stereo I might have got wrong. There were limited wires. I have a constant feed on so the radio will work when the ignition is off. The other wire seemed to make no sense as a ignition feed and never really worked so I left it off.

Oh and it seem the passenger rear side leaks into the boot. Magic.

Any help at all appreciated, any place to get cheap second hand parts etc etc.

Thanks

Steve Hogg
May 9th, 2003, 21:15
Hi,

Owning a 480 is a love hate relationship, When they go well you love them, but they really do know how to go wrong. The build quality was not up to normal volvo standards, possibly because they were Dutch built (appologies to any Dutch readers, it was only a joke).

The water leak is probably from the rear light clusters (very common) take them out and reseal them.

Dash board bulbs seem to go one after the other, change the all if one goes, it's quicker in the long run.

The info centers suffer from 'dry joints' and can offten be repaired be resoldering (I will E mail you a copy of an old forum item on this subject).

Change the transmission fluid and see if it improves, you may need to adjust the brake bands.

Good luck.

Steve

480 ES
480 Turbo
760 GLE
A few none Volvo's

C6REW
May 9th, 2003, 23:54
Hi New User,

Steve is right it really is a love hate relationship owning a Volvo 480. I was informed that they produced the car as light as possible and as such components suffered. Be careful when you mess with anything it is very fragile.

Apart from the good advice that Steve has sent you I strongly suggest you go over to the 480 Europe site and join. They have a lot of information and solutions on all that have mentioned which is very common. http://www.volvo-480-europe.org/

In terms of the rear lights they are normally very difficult to get out without breaking as they are put in with a sealant. New ones are expensive as I believe you can only get them from Volvo. With good discount I paid about £300 for complete front and rear set. However, I am sure I saw on the 480 Europe site that someone found them somewhere for £90.

Finally spares are best obtained in the most from scrappies or if you have the room then you can have your own donor vehicle like I have. If you are anywhere near Devizes in Wiltshire let me know and send an email to chris@swi.org.uk and we can meet up.

Regards

Chris

mikeh123
May 11th, 2003, 01:55
Thanks for the help guys. Nice to have a direction to move on

spage
May 20th, 2003, 07:02
I have an entire 1992 J 480 to sell for spares as nobody wants the whole car !(sob sob!)£50 for the whole car which drives etc etc.

I must get rid of it in the next 2 weeks (It's on the Isle of Wight).
If interested, enail me on linguacentral@yahoo.co.uk.

Steve Page.