PDA

View Full Version : V50 diesel starter motor noise

blackrat
Mar 5th, 2006, 19:49
Just picked up my new V50 SE diesel. I have done 70 miles so far, but twice I have had the following happen:

Insert key, turn to postion II then try to start. The noise from the starter motor is the same that is heard when trying to start a RUNNING engine :eek: . After a quick panic and turn off, it starts fine the next time. It's only twice it has happened (so far). Has it happened to anyone else? If so, some advice please.

Nick

Marmoset
Mar 5th, 2006, 19:57
I don't notice any untoward noises in mine. Is it loud? The only noise I hear at pos II is a whirring, which is the tank fuel pump getting the feed line pressure up.

Rich

blackrat
Mar 6th, 2006, 09:01
Oh yes, Flippin loud! To mimick the sound, start your wifes car. Then, while its riunning, try to start it again. (Ouch!)

Nick

(Still only happened twice though)

7050man
Mar 7th, 2006, 19:24
Does it make the noise before the engine actually turns, or does the engine not turn at all, but still you get the noise?

blackrat
Mar 8th, 2006, 15:57
Does it make the noise before the engine actually turns, or does the engine not turn at all, but still you get the noise?

The engine makes no noise at all and doesn't turn or start. Fortunately it has not happened since posting this!

Nick

7050man
Mar 8th, 2006, 21:33
The engine makes no noise at all and doesn't turn or start. Fortunately it has not happened since posting this!

Nick

without the benefit of a service manual, my guess is that the driving pinion is not engaging and as a result is not being correctly meshed with the starter ring. I imagine that the noise you hear is the starter motor turning very quickly as a result of no load, (not turning engine).
Being a modern car, the starter motor will pre engage the pinion and starter ring before turning and the problem may lie in this area. Either an electrically failing solenoid/12v supply or else it's binding and solenoid plunger is not moving properly.

Still having said all that, you've got a new car with a 3 yr warrenty so it's not really your problem. Let the dealer sort it.

good luck, I hope it doesn't let you down.
Jez

scotman
Mar 11th, 2006, 00:26
I have a new Diesel S40 SE about two months now and it has done the same thing no more than 3-4 times, the starter motor turns but the engine does not engage and the starter just spins.
It always starts the next turn of the key.

If it was doing it more often I would get the Volvo Dealer to check it out right away. I will mention it to them when its going in for its first check at 10000k, there is 4000k on it at the moment.

dennisl1
Mar 13th, 2006, 20:52
Never had a problem with mine so far (V50 Diesel) but there again I was only a Grey Gerbil never a full Black Rat!

Best wishes

Dennis

blackrat
Mar 15th, 2006, 20:45
Never had a problem with mine so far (V50 Diesel) but there again I was only a Grey Gerbil never a full Black Rat!

Best wishes

Dennis

Ha ha ha ha ha ha (he says with his nose twitching!).

Thanks for all you help fellas. It still hasn't happened again and hpefully thats the end of the matter. Nearly at 500 miles now without a hint of a noise.

Nick

Scougy
Nov 14th, 2010, 12:00
Just had the same experience. Unfortunately I have found that although the starter motor is becoming worn after 68K miles, the teeth on the ring of the flywheel are worn out. I would urge anyone with similar problems to investigate this too. When it next fails on start up, remove the starter motor and have a look at the ring gear. Ignore at your peril!
Looks like I'm going to have to pump more money into getting it back on the road. Once it's done, it's being traded in against something else. I've never had to spend so much money on a car before. The reliability is appalling.

V50 Tony
Sep 7th, 2011, 22:59
I am also suffering the same problem, noisy starter motor on my V50. I recently (yesterday) had my dual mass flywheel, clutch and slave cylinder replaced at a main Volvo dealer. I will tomorrow call them and see what they have to say regarding the problem. Watch this space!

V50 Tony
Sep 15th, 2011, 23:08
Why can't the main dealer technicians do the full job when they have the car. New dual mass fly wheel fitted, new clutch and slave cylinder. Picked car up after the service guy commented on how he had done me a favour in squeezing my car in. Next problem was an awful noise coming from the starter motor when starting the car. Happened almost every time. After speaking to an independent vehicle technician he asked if they had removed and cleaned the starter motor as these suffer when the dual mass flywheel fails, apparently debris gets into the pinion drive of the starter motor. After a call back to the main dealer he admitted that the technician had removed the starter but not checked it for cleanliness. He arranged for it to be booked in, again squeezing my car in. Upon collection of my vehicle the said there was no paperwork needed. Now don't we need paperwork to record what a main dealer has done to a vehicle? To top it all off when I was about to drive my car away from the main dealer I fortunately noticed a set of keys to someone else's car on the passenger seat, I had just thrown my jacket onto the seat. I returned the keys to the service guy. How would they have dealt with that when the owner came to collect his car? The really need to clean up there service and attitude if they want to keep there customers. Signed, one very unhappy V50 owner.