PDA

View Full Version : testing auto dimming rear mirror?

LJD
Nov 20th, 2012, 21:19
is there a way ??? how does it work
?

bored !

volvorocks
Nov 20th, 2012, 21:26
?

bored !

When the interior lights come on it can dim, or shine a torch on it. I found them annoying when I put the light on and looked in the mirror to find I was all 'dimmed out'..!!

They work as they have some form of crystal in them I think that reacts to light.

Bill_56
Nov 20th, 2012, 21:51
I found the easiest way to test it is in broad daylight. You have to fool the car into thinking it is dark, so that the ambient light activates the dim. If you look in through the wincsreen, you'll see that the mirror has a forward- facing sensor. It looks a bit like a screw hole at a glance.

So in broad daylight, preferably a bright sunny day, start the engine then clasp your hand tightly around back of mirror, obscuring the above sensor. The mirror should dim, but it takes longer than you might think and the change is more gradual, count slowly to twenty before giving up hope. Release your hand, it should undim.

This process may prove the mirror is working but if no change is seen then it may just mean your hand isn't quite in the right place. Or it may prove the test is simply invalid. I think the sensitivity can be Vida adjusted by a dealer so, if it's working a little but not enough, that may be an option.

Marty Dolomite
Nov 20th, 2012, 23:13
Is it possible to just simply disconnect the sensor for those who have tinted rear screens so don't need a dimming mirror?

Bill_56
Nov 21st, 2012, 01:14
Is it possible to just simply disconnect the sensor for those who have tinted rear screens so don't need a dimming mirror?

Not easily I suspect, though a small piece of black tape positioned over the rearward-facing sensor should probably work.

That said, if the rear screen is so heavily tinted as to render dimming unecessary, then it would reduce the light reaching the sensor and stop it dimming anyway, would it not?

I have to say autodim mirror is one of the few modern gadgets that, for me, work very well indeed to the extent I'd happily pay extra for it given the choice, if ordering a new car tomorrow. Others will no doubt have different opinions, that is just my own opinion.

Marty Dolomite
Nov 21st, 2012, 07:32
That said, if the rear screen is so heavily tinted as to render dimming unecessary, then it would reduce the light reaching the sensor and stop it dimming anyway, would it not?

No because the sensor if forward facing to pick up the light coming in through the front screen.

GMad
Nov 21st, 2012, 08:55
?

bored !

Go out for a drive, find and cut up an Ordi or BMW driver and then wait for him to park himself up your tail pipe with his lights on main beam:thumbs_up:

reggit
Nov 21st, 2012, 11:00
cover front sensor with your finger, and shine a torch at the rear sensor, it should dim over a few seconds. If it's like mine it won't :(

If you are brave enough, you can test the glass works, if it doesn't seem to work normally - You need to take the mirror assembly out and de-solder the mirror connections. Using a 1.5v battery, connect to the mirror terminals, with the battery one way round it will fully dim, the other way it will fully lighten. If it doesn't react, the mirror has failed.