PDA

View Full Version : Screeching when cold!!

Scott Stephen
Jun 22nd, 2003, 00:59
Just bought a 92K Volvo 480 ES 1.7 coupe for a weekend run about. One thing it does when cold is emit a large screeching noise similar in noise to a slipping fan belt from under the bonnet. Someone suggested it might be the water pump, Apparently it has an electric one. Is this true? Does anyone know where it is?

Thanks

Scott Stephen
Jun 22nd, 2003, 13:50
I now know where the noise is coming from!!

It is definitely coming from the timing cover. Do these cars have a conventional water pump aswell as the electric one or should i put my money on a problem with the timing belt tensioner?????

Funny how it only happens during the warm up period.

I have very little knowledge of these engines and any help would be appreciated. Thanks

ChrisB
Jun 22nd, 2003, 21:08
Slip the drive belt (PAS, Alternator etc) off and start the car to check if it is that.

If it still does it check out the water pump (yes, conventional one. Elec one is just for after hot switch off), and the two cam belt rollers (one idler and one tensioner). A long screwdriver with one end pressed on the component and the other held to your ear works well with the cam belt cover off. Watch it doesn't get caught by the belt.

If it is any cam belt components get them sorted. Screeching is usually a sign of impending failure.

Chris.

jimforrest
Jun 29th, 2003, 00:53
This is a common problem - it's usually caused by the alternator being heavily loaded after starting the car and having to replace the missing Amps in the battery! Usual cure is to rub talc in the belt but it's not permanent. Replace the alternator drive belt and it should disappear.
Regards,
Jim.

Baffler
Jul 7th, 2003, 12:41
Hi Scott,

Chris is on the ball here as he quotes:

>and the two cam belt rollers (one idler and one tensioner). A
>long screwdriver with one end pressed on the component and the
>other held to your ear works well with the cam belt cover off.
>Watch it doesn't get caught by the belt.

I had this exact problem with mine, hot weather, loud squeel from behind the cam belt cover. Replaced the idler and all was like new.

Good luck

P.S. again, be carefull where you place the head of that screwdriver!

Scott Stephen
Jul 7th, 2003, 19:40
Thanks for the help guys.

It turned out to be a partially seized timing belt tensioner.

Thanks again