PDA

View Full Version : S40 - Some questions for existing owners

guinness
Mar 12th, 2006, 16:39
Hi All,

I've just started looking at the volvo S40 as a "possible" for my next car. I'm currently driving an '03 Mondeo Ghia TDCI 130ps. I visited my local volvo dealer today (who didn't seem particulaly interested in coming out in the cold to talk me around the cars :Not_Impressed:), but I was given the keys to a '54 plate S40 SE, so had a good poke around inside.

I have to be honest in saying that I was a very surprised and a bit disappointed with the interior as it doesn't seem to have quite the same solid feeling /quality as the mondeo (although I do still love the volvo, especially the seats & driving position) - I wondered how hard-wearing you existing owners are finding the trim? Is it developing any squeaks/rattle etc??

I'm aware of some of the known problems on the 2.0D (egr etc..), but has anyone got any experience over the performance/drivability of the 2.0D engine vs. Ford's earlier diesel units (e.g in the mondeo 130ps) - Yes, I will go test-driving soon, but I value your opinions as well! :tounge_smile:

Finally, can anyone tell me about the illumination colour on the central screen - has it been changed for MY06? All the brochures/press photos I've seen appear to show blue-ish LCD on a dark background (like this (http://www.volvoclub.org.uk/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=1086&cat=530)) , but so far, all the S40's I've been inside have had a much lighter green display (like this (http://www.volvocanada.com/images/models/2006/S40/gallery/S40_int01_610x314.jpg)). Probably shouldn't be so fickle about these things, but I much prefer the blue! :nerd:

Thanks in advance!

Marmoset
Mar 12th, 2006, 22:20
Hi Guinness

The car feels pretty solid, the only squeaks and rattles I have are from the parcel shelf, but mines a V50. I did have a clicking drivers seat but that's now fixed. The dash itself is very solid, as are all the controls. The rest of the trim is pretty resistant to crap, given that I usually get covered in mud on my bike. The carpets clean up very well and I still can't believe I've had it a year/20k as it still feels new. When cleaned outside it looks new to, the paintwork is a top quality job, way better than my previous Mondeo. It's not as sharp a drive as the Mondy but more than acceptable TBH.

The display changes according to light conditions. When it's dark outside you get the dark background with the green letters/numbers. When it's light you get the light green display with dark lettering.

Hope that helps

Rich

guinness
Mar 13th, 2006, 10:30
Hi Rich,

Thank you, that does help - I think perhaps looking at the car in the cold and rain left me in the wrong frame of mind! As long as the trim is hard-wearing I'm happy, it just didn't feel quite as solid at first. I'm going to arrange a test drive this week so that'll be the real decider I guess!

cheers

JeremyG
Sep 4th, 2006, 14:04
Hi Guinness
...I did have a clicking drivers seat but that's now fixed. ...
Rich

Hi - do you know what the problem was with the seat? On mine, both driver and passenger seat 'click' when you go round a corner - actually when you change from turning one way to another - ie coming out of a round about...

cheers

Jeremy

Big T
Sep 4th, 2006, 19:44
I have a 1997 S40 with full leather, car has covered 68000 miles and the leather still looks very good, hardly worn at all only a slight scuff on the drivers seat where you get in and out!!!

Marmoset
Sep 5th, 2006, 14:45
Jeremy

It was the frame within the backrest clicking - the dealer did a deep seat injection with some grease - following a technical services bulletin by Volvo - the click disappeared a couple of days later when it had all worked it's way around the parts.

Rich

JeremyG
Sep 5th, 2006, 14:49
Jeremy

It was the frame within the backrest clicking - the dealer did a deep seat injection with some grease - following a technical services bulletin by Volvo - the click disappeared a couple of days later when it had all worked it's way around the parts.

Rich

Ouch!

Many thanks.

mark2jag
Dec 16th, 2006, 23:27
stick with the Ford if fuel consumption is ANYWHERE NEAR the top of your list of priorities. Mine is an 06 plate s40 1.6 diesel, which is supposed to be the most fuel efficient diesel volvo do, and mine only get 38 MPG at BEST, honestly mate dont do it, go for the ford instead, if i could get rid of mine legally then i would...(Or maybe ILLEGALLY,lol)...., Oh and the seats squeak screech and rattle on corners, and sometimes the windows go up and down even when i have not pressed the switches. Oh and did i mention the dealer attitudes stink, and unless you go in there in your best suit they stick their nose up at you, and avoid you, unless they sense you're a new mug, err sorry potential victim, err sorry CUSTOMER....... iN SHORT THE VOLVO IS A :animal-smiley-037:

callyuk
Dec 16th, 2006, 23:32
iv got a 1997 s40 2.0 petrol thats done 139000 and so far been reallt please with it only thing that bugs me is the cheeking that has developed from the passanger side seatbelt but thats nothing to worrie about

leeS80D5
Dec 16th, 2006, 23:37
stick with the Ford if fuel consumption is ANYWHERE NEAR the top of your list of priorities. Mine is an 06 plate s40 1.6 diesel, which is supposed to be the most fuel efficient diesel volvo do, and mine only get 38 MPG at BEST, honestly mate dont do it, go for the ford instead, if i could get rid of mine legally then i would...(Or maybe ILLEGALLY,lol)...., Oh and the seats squeak screech and rattle on corners, and sometimes the windows go up and down even when i have not pressed the switches. Oh and did i mention the dealer attitudes stink, and unless you go in there in your best suit they stick their nose up at you, and avoid you, unless they sense you're a new mug, err sorry potential victim, err sorry CUSTOMER....... iN SHORT THE VOLVO IS A :animal-smiley-037:

isnt Volvo part of Ford???????? :mumbles:

callyuk
Dec 16th, 2006, 23:46
indeed it is lee my farther in laws phase 2 s40 uses the same switches as the fords

S Wade
Jan 22nd, 2007, 01:46

I've got an 04 plate S40 2.0 diesel and I average 50-52 mpg doing a mix of short and long runs. If your mpg is that low then I think that there may be a serious issue with your car - then again it may just be the way you drive.

I was given a 56 plate mondeo TDCi last week by work as a hire car to get to the airport. The driving positon was very poor no matter what I did I couldn't get comfortable. The whole experience with the mondeo left me very glad that I own an S40.

The problems with the windows should be a simple software upgrade issue which your dealer can sort out.

Since being a Volvo owner I have never had any problems with any of the dealers I have visited (7 so far) across the country. They have always been polite, happy to help and have always treated me well, even on the times I have turned up covered in oil and grease in a t-shirt, jeans and trainers to buy parts. If your dealer is that bad then why not talk to Volvo UK direct and pass on your views.

My personal experience of Volvo has been excellent and I would always recommend Volvo as a first choice to buy.

Steve

shandy
Jan 22nd, 2007, 17:20
stick with your fords......
The volvo costs a lot more for a car which shares ford parts. You will find that the S40/V50 are based on the Focus.
Also consider the cost of servicing and parts.
If i had another chance, i would of bought the focus, saved some money and got a better service from the dealers.
Volvo are good until they get your money.
Its a shame that the brand joined forces with ford as they had a great reputation. thats why i bought one. I cant see many of the new cars lasting very long with all the faults that appear.

Northview
Jan 24th, 2007, 11:19
You will find that the S40/V50 are based on the Focus.

Based on in the sense that both the Focus and the S40/V50 (and for that matter one of the Mazda range) are all based on the same co-developed platform. It's not a Focus with a Volvo badge on it. Volvos are more expensive because they are perceived as a premium brand, and because of their huge reputation for engineering for safety.

That said, I still feel that my move from an Audi A3 to a Volvo S40 last year wasn't the smartest move I ever made. The Volvo is more comfortable and practical in many ways, but I'm not at all happy with the fuel consumption, or the multiple minor 'niggles' that never seem to go away. I don't think I'll be buying another Volvo.

Marmoset
Jan 24th, 2007, 12:47
Now got up to 42k and teh fuel consumption is still improving - I mustn't drive it hard enough if it's still loosening up! Getting up to 46mpg on the long runs and about 43 as an average including traffic jams etc.

Still no problems to report either....touch wood

Alec Dawe
Jan 25th, 2007, 20:48
Mine (2005 2.0D SE) is averaging about 47MPG, and I can get well over 50mpg on a long motorway run, (not doing a 50mph in the middle lane either!)
Faults so afr at 30K
CD player refused to eject a CD?? Disconnected power supply at fuse box. when powered up again, worked perfectly, so I assume that was a windows type software hic-cup.
Seats are amazingly comfortable, tyre wear 24k from the fronts. looking to about 35k from the backs, Oil consumption about half a litre between services, (that's pessimistic really, but I buy a half litre can, rest goes in the wife's C-max.
MUCH better fuel consumption than the C-max (same engine) Much better seats than the C-max, far fewer niggles than the C-max (not that the C-max has ever let us down, just had a few minor odds and sods, like blowing the headlamp bulbs, software induced misfires, clicking seats etc).

Next car might well be a V-50, if I still need one for work, if I still have a job!

Philip Fisher
Jan 26th, 2007, 09:17
Unless you are going to buy a real Volvo like an S60/V70 etc.., then stick with your Ford. The Ford is far better value for money, is bigger, cheaper to service and handles better.

My V50 is a disappointment. Poor dealers (came back from the last service broken ie. no turbo power). When I complained on the Saturday morning they told me that they couldn't do anything til the Monday!! The trim is flimsy, bits keep breaking, the windows have a mind of their own, the front tyres wore out in 12k, it has had a new gearbox (which doesn't like going in to second now), new LCD display inside and numerous niggles.

My opinion about the V50 - AVOID !

Cheers