PDA

View Full Version : bit rough running

bazza39
Jun 28th, 2003, 11:29
cars a 44 1.8 si. N reg

runs a bit rough and doesnt seem to pull away like a 1.8injection should runs a bit irregular and fast at times too. I was going to get it tuned up to see if it increased performance and decreased what seems like excessive fuel consumption but Ive seen on this forum that it could be the managemnt system. should I get new box from breakers?
any ideas

bazza

mikeholroyd
Jul 1st, 2003, 20:53
Hi Bazza
Mike here, with the ECU replacement. I only replaced the ECU as a last resort, having done everything else. 1st thing I'd look for, especially if she's a bit thirsy, is the little rubber tubes at the back of the single point injection unit. These perish due to the heat -- they're just above the manifold, so take care if engine's hot whiilst you're looking at them.
My own 440 was suffering from a leaking factory sunroof, and the ECU got water damaged. If you've got a facory roof on yours, it may be worth taking off the kick panels in the footwells & checking if there is any moixture knocking about. Try this before condemning the ECU. e-mail me to let me know how you get on.
Regards
Mike