PDA

View Full Version : Hi, please, somebody must be in the know...

Golden ovloV
Jun 30th, 2003, 23:49
'ello.

First post...I have a 1991 J plate GLE 460 (carb...ugh!) and I think it may have a problem. It seems to sit 2/3 of the way up the temperature guage and the radiator fan stays on for about 20/25 minutes after I turn the engine off - even if I have only driven for 5 minutes! Oil levels are checked almost daily, as are water and other fluids and they have never fallen. I have read somewhere that this model can overheat.
Has anyone had a similar problem and if so, can they suggest where to look or how to solve this? I can deal with Punto Turbos but 460 GLEs...a whole new ballpark! ;)
Any help would be most appreciated.
Cheers in advance.
Chris

Dan F
Jul 1st, 2003, 19:12
Hi Chris.

The carbs on these models can easily warp if they get hot and are not cooled sufficiently. They are OK whilst the engine is running, but when you switch off is when it can happen.

Therefore they are set up so that the radiator fan will come on and flow air over the carb. base to keep it cool after the car has been used.
15-20 minutes is not an unusual time for this to be going on for.

It is nothing to worry about!! It might be worth looking under the bonnet to check that the pipe from the radiator fan is actually blowing air over the carb and not just into the engine compartment like it was in one carb 440 I have seen. ( Quick bit of Alu pipe from Halfords sorted that!)

The temp guage is showing correctly as well. As long as it doesn't hit the red section you are fine.
If, when the car is ticking over, the cooling fan cuts in and out as it should, then do not worry about that either.

By the way, I think all carb models were made before cats were mandatory. My advice....... Remove the cat! and get the alternative silencer fitted. you will gain about 10 BHP. It really makes a difference. It goes from 92BHP to 102BHP. (about the same as the 1.7i!) My 440 carb was a real hot hatch slayer after I removed the cat.

Cheers,
Dan.

George Holmer
Jul 1st, 2003, 22:31
I have experience of this, we ahve a horrible 1.7 carb 440 in the family. What I did which seems to have done the trick but still not 100 per cent sure is to replace the thermal switch in the radiator.

George

[link:www.ttsservices.co.uk/my%20volvos.htm|http://www.ttsservices.co.uk/My%20car.JPG]

'87 745 GLE Turbo Diesel Intercooler (D24TIC/ZF22; 200K)
'88 745 Turbo Intercooler (B230ET/M46; 290K)
'92 944 Turbo Intercooler (B200FT/M46; 143K)

Golden ovloV
Jul 2nd, 2003, 12:05
Thankyou for your help. I have to admit that I was panicing just a little...

As for the cat, all cars 1994 onwards have to have a cat fitted. It shall be (eventually) removed but not yet.

Thanks again.
Chris

Dan F
Jul 2nd, 2003, 15:24
>I have experience of this, we ahve a horrible 1.7 carb 440 in
>the family. What I did which seems to have done the trick but
>still not 100 per cent sure is to replace the thermal switch
>in the radiator.

It sounds like his car is behaving normally so there shouldn't be anything to replace.

I would lose the cat ASAP though. :)

Dan.