PDA

View Full Version : buying a 440

Coljono
Jul 5th, 2003, 12:48
Hi guys
Just looked at a J reg 440 1.8i for my daughter.Its done 104k and looks pretty clean and genuine.Its only £300 taxed and tested are there any major points to look out for?The passenger door is rotten along the sill but no other rust as far as I can see.
Any advice appreciated.I am going back tomorrow for a drive.
Thanks in advance
Colin
Big green flying machine (95 855 t5)

Dan F
Jul 7th, 2003, 10:42
Hi.
Apart from the aforementioned rust, the other things to look for are bad running when warm, this is usually only the 1.8i that suffers from this. Uneven idle and obvious flat spots are the thing to look for. GEt the present owner to MOT it first, and maybe an oil change too? ;-)

Also blue smoke coming from the engine is not good.

If it runs well and everything works, the it is worth it for £300 even if you have it for just a year, however you could source a door from a breakers if you wanted to get rid of the rust.

Not much else to say, if it has been looked after, it will run and run. One I know of had 179,000 miles on it when it was sold, and we still see it around!

Later,
Dan.

Coljono
Jul 7th, 2003, 16:08
Thanks for that Dan. I went and bought it .Knocked it down to 250!It starts and runs well.Ive not driven one before but I am quite impressed.Its quite lively and reasonably spacious.Its only had two owners so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I got a bargain.As for the door we have got a couple of Volvo breakers locally so they will be getting a call soon.Cheers
Colin
Big green flying machine (95 855 t5)+440 si