PDA

View Full Version : S40,2005, 2.0D SE Sport - Buzz from dashboard

ptecuk
Mar 14th, 2006, 18:47
I am pleased with the car and its build but unfortunately I am getting an irritating buzz from the drivers side dashboard which diminishes after 5 to 10 miles. It seems to occur on accelerating or decelerating. A courtesy car with the same engine also did the same thing. As far as I am aware it did not occur on the test drive before purchase. It is still under warranty but the dealership is 12 miles away so difficult to demonstrate. Is this a common problem? Any ideas?

kebabster
Mar 14th, 2006, 18:52
hi there!

i recently purchased a '99 S40, and after a few weeks, i got a clicking noise behind the dashboard of my car - passangersside. This was something to do with the "recirulation switch" apparantly and was very annoying.

As the warranty had just expired (oh surprise!), volvo dealer wanted about £300 to amend the error!

as a result i posted my problem and got advice here on how to "sort it"!!

but if i were u, go back to the dealer where u got ur car and try and let them sort it out if it's still under warranty cos it was awkward to get to..........if it was the same problem that is!

good luck

Andy

ptecuk
Mar 14th, 2006, 19:10
Thanks Andy

It is not a clicking sound but a high frequency buzz more like say an instrument needle or a wire loom vibrating. Maybe a ventilation duct component. I think it must be internal to the dashboard.

bircham
Mar 15th, 2006, 08:34
We had this on my wife's 2.0d S40 - a buzzing sound from behaind the das 'pod' in front of the driver. I tried to get the garage to fix it as it was driving me crazy but they said they couldn't fing anything wrong. It mainly occured when accelerating from low speeds and when we drove over that horrendous gravel road surface that the council put down to 'prolong the life of the road surface@:baring_teeth: I could only think that it was two parts buzzing together when vibrations hit them.

Anyway, we never did get it fixed as my bpught a new 2.0d V50 (which is another story - see other thread) and it doesn't vibrate or buzz at all. Maybe the 2006 MY cars are better built or they have some additional 'padding' It could be worth asking your dealer about that and maybe adding some rubber tape etc to any parts that might rub together.

Sorry if this isn't helpful,

Jon.

ptecuk
Mar 15th, 2006, 20:59
Thanks Jon

Yours sounds like a similar problem. I had buzzing sounds from the dashboard on my previous VW Bora which neither the garage or myself could fix. We didn't go so far as to remove the dashboard. Thought the S40 would be clear of this irritation. It was okay on the test drive. At least it doesn't happen all the time and so far only for the first few miles of a journey from cold. Will see how it behaves over time.

Peter