PDA

View Full Version : MY13 Spare Wheel

paultyler1
Jan 23rd, 2013, 17:07
Wonder if I could have some comments on the following:

When I placed the order for my Executive (on the 19th June), the Tempa Spare Wheel (option 165) and Jack kit (option 676) were shown as F.O.C. This information was repeated on the purchase invoice. After I had paid the invoice, but before I drove off in the car, I was told that there was no spare wheel (but there was a jack, a compressor and a tin of puncture sealant) because Volvo had changed the specification. I was not happy with this but there was nothing I could do about it.

I subsequently wrote to the supplying dealer asking them how much a spare wheel would be (without the winch mechanism) and was advised that the price is £210 and that I could obtain it through any dealer. I wrote back suggesting that this was a bit expensive considering that it should have been supplied F.O.C. and asking them if any discount was available. I also asked them for the specification of the wheel/tyre so I could investigate obtaining one via Ebay. The dealer has not seen fit to reply to my email.

Matters came to a head earlier this week whilst I was driving, in a snowstorm, on a French Autoroute. I suffered a front wheel puncture. Rather than risk a possible fatal accident, I elected to drive, slowly, to the next service area which, fortunately, was only 2 kms. By the time I got there the tyre was beyond repair. I had to wait 2 hours for a recovery vehicle which, naturally enough, didn’t have a spare wheel. I was then transported to a tyre dealer who managed to find me a tyre (not the same type) to enable me to continue my journey.

At no time, since I took delivery of the car, have I asked Volvo to supply a spare wheel F.O.C. If I had been asked before delivery, I would have opted to have the Tempa wheel but I was not advised that it had been deleted even though it appeared on my invoice. I am still willing, albeit reluctantly, to pay for a spare wheel – but not at the full price.

I feel that Volvo was negligent in not informing me, prior to delivery, that there was no spare wheel and, further, in not allowing me to purchase one at a reasonable price. I also feel that it is poor policy to supply a vehicle such as this with no spare wheel although I understand the financial reasons for doing so. The vehicle cost me in excess of £39000 – is it unreasonable to expect a spare wheel?

ex Triumph Man
Jan 23rd, 2013, 17:20
Sorry to hear of your nightmare coming true, especally so far from home and in such bad weather conditions too.

I suppose Volvo's excuse is that they reserve the right to change the specification at all times. However in the interest of good customer relations, I would have thought it courteous for the supplying dealer and/or Volvo to cough up the cost of a spare wheel/tyre assembly foc.

If they really wanted to keep your business, a refund of the cost of the French tyre as well.

MtillingVolvo
Jan 23rd, 2013, 17:25
The XC90 MY13 Edition 1 pricelist dated from 20th April which was superceeded on the 18th June (the day before you placed your order) states that the Tempa Spare is £150 for an executive.

The one from 18th June until 8th October (Edition 2, forum wont let me add it as well as the Edition 1, but can supply by email if you like) also states that it is £150....so not sure why it was ever assumed to have been FOC.....

I assume it was a factory order? If so it may be that the dealer forgot to order it (it has been known... my manager at a previous branch forgot to order heated seats once and we had to re-order the car for the customer... ooooppps!)? If this is the case (and the fact that it shows on your order and invoice) I don't see why you should be having to pay anything for it.....I'd approach customer relations and provide them with the order (presumably signed by a manager from the dealership) and the invoice and go from there.....

If you let me know the reg number (by email if you prefer) I can check the factory order spec....

paultyler1
Jan 23rd, 2013, 17:30
Hi Marc - have sent you an email.
Thanks for any help you can give.

Bushellj
Jan 23rd, 2013, 17:52
Bit like dealers adding £600 for some Super Sealer coat (polish stuff on the outside and carpet dirt repellant on the inside) whether you ask for it or not !! How you can justify £600 for a couple of hours work is beyond me !!??

My dealer was most upset when I refused to pay this extra cost for something I had not requested.

TruckbusUK
Jan 23rd, 2013, 18:45
Bit like dealers adding £600 for some Super Sealer coat (polish stuff on the outside and carpet dirt repellant on the inside) whether you ask for it or not !! How you can justify £600 for a couple of hours work is beyond me !!??

My dealer was most upset when I refused to pay this extra cost for something I had not requested.

If it was Supagard, then the cost of materials for an XC90 from them direct was £23+vat (2009 price) ..... I had a huge arguement with my dealer who tried to charge £900 for the pleasure, even though it was not requested ... and the price ... Supagards head office is in Glasgow approx 1/2 a mile from where I live and they are really fairly friendly people, armed with their info of what my dealer "usually does" I paid the dealer £23+vat ("take it or remove the products without damaging the car") for the kit they had purchased and applied. Just one of a few things that hacked me off on purchase .... they have redeemed themselves since :natur008:

dr90
Jan 23rd, 2013, 18:58
Your invoice is the basis of the contract between you and the Dealer (not Volvo) so if its on your invoice the contract says they (dealer) must supply it.

A contract stands in its entirety, you can't cherry pick the bits you want and neither can they any change means its a new contract which either party can then walk away from.

You could recind the whole contract (bit entreme) but I'd suggest you remind the dealer that they invoiced and you paid so either they give you it FoC or you get one eslewhere and they can reimburse you within 14 days against the receipted invoice from your other source.

paultyler1
Jan 24th, 2013, 08:52
If they really wanted to keep your business, a refund of the cost of the French tyre as well.

I'm trying to be fair to Volvo, it wasn't their fault that I had a puncture - but thanks for your other comments.

Your invoice is the basis of the contract between you and the Dealer (not Volvo) so if its on your invoice the contract says they (dealer) must supply it.

A contract stands in its entirety, you can't cherry pick the bits you want and neither can they any change means its a new contract which either party can then walk away from.

You could recind the whole contract (bit entreme) but I'd suggest you remind the dealer that they invoiced and you paid so either they give you it FoC or you get one eslewhere and they can reimburse you within 14 days against the receipted invoice from your other source.

This is all very well in theory but I've taken delivery of the car and if the dealer is saying "hard luck" what more can I do from a practical point of view except to keep writing?

On the same subject, it's been suggested to me that cars with the compressor and tin of sealant are not supplied with jacks - can anyone confirm this?

Lippy r design
Jan 24th, 2013, 09:09
You are indeed right the cars the compressor and sealant kit are not supplied with a jack, i bought one from a local store and adapted the holder slightly to take it. I don't have the Tempa spare wheel but you never know when you may need a Jack in an emergency.

GJB
Jan 24th, 2013, 11:00
I'm trying to be fair to Volvo, it wasn't their fault that I had a puncture - but thanks for your other comments.

This is all very well in theory but I've taken delivery of the car and if the dealer is saying "hard luck" what more can I do from a practical point of view except to keep writing?

On the same subject, it's been suggested to me that cars with the compressor and tin of sealant are not supplied with jacks - can anyone confirm this?

Threaten with a claim through the small claims court ,what you had was a contract to supply which they have not kept.

dr90
Jan 24th, 2013, 12:20
I wasn't meaning to suggest to rescind the contract to the extent of returning the car as you've taken delivery - but you can remind the dealer that he's not completed the deal.

Keith Hall
Jan 25th, 2013, 00:36
Yep, I agree with the above

The order/invoice sets out what you agreeded on and for what price.

The dealer has yet to fully deliver to the specification on the order and you therefore have the right to complain and get this sorted.

If this was me, i'd be getting the tyre as a freebie and soemthing extra for teh hassle - least the dealer can do I'd say.

paultyler1
Jan 30th, 2013, 16:30
Latest on this is that Volvo Cars UK have stated that my contract is with the dealer. The dealer has admitted that they made a mistake and have offered to sell me a spare wheel only (i.e. no winch kit) for £198. I have rejected this offer and told them that I am looking for some sort of acceptable goodwill gesture from them and/or Volvo.

GJB
Jan 30th, 2013, 20:29
Latest on this is that Volvo Cars UK have stated that my contract is with the dealer. The dealer has admitted that they made a mistake and have offered to sell me a spare wheel only (i.e. no winch kit) for £198. I have rejected this offer and told them that I am looking for some sort of acceptable goodwill gesture from them and/or Volvo.

Well done stick to your guns you are in the right small claims court threat is answer.

volvorocks
Jan 31st, 2013, 01:00

Cars with sealant are not supplied with jacks. (more saving for Volvo eh?)

What more can you do?

Are you a loyal Volvo driver or a newbie to the mark? Irrespective of what you are, you should get a spare wheel supplied at no extra cost, as in essence, it forms part of the original contract of sale. I would not suggest recission, as, with respect, whilst it is very very very annoying,it would not be considered enough of a just cause to reject a vehicle. You need more than this to do that. Furthermore,there are 'get outs' for the manufacturer and the dealer, in so far as they place clauses to the effect that 'if the vehicle spec changes, you will get whatever that is at the time' kind of thing

Whatever you do, do not pay for your spare. Do tell the dealer this,

Who is the dealer by the way? Or would you rather not say?

If it was me, as a matter of principle, after spending nigh on 40k,I would demand an foc spare wheel. Crikey what will it cost Volvo - or the dealer to make a customer happy, and retain them? £100 cost price perhaps?

Regards

paultyler1
Feb 6th, 2013, 11:43
Success - Volvo have agreed to supply the spare wheel and winch.

Can someone tell me if the winch is bolted on or does it have to be welded?

Ron_XC90
Feb 6th, 2013, 12:02
The winch is bolted on. THere is currently a cover plate that needs to be removed and the winch will fit there with the same fixings as the plate

GJB
Feb 6th, 2013, 12:51
Success - Volvo have agreed to supply the spare wheel and winch.

Can someone tell me if the winch is bolted on or does it have to be welded?

Well done proves if you know you are right don't let the bu**ers get you down.