PDA

View Full Version : 480 TURBO - SMOKING AT IDLE ONLY !!

grahal
Jul 15th, 2003, 14:06
Hi there

My 1989 480 Turbo has only done a genuine 70,000 miles and has a full Volvo Service History but when it is idling it blows blue smelly smoke out of the exhaust. It does not use / burn oil - barely put any in during last 6,000 miles. I am sure it is crankcase breather pipes and / or `breather valves` which are blocked or non functional. Trouble is there are so many pipes and the Haynes Manual is no help in locating the breather system. Please could someone talk / mail me (or send a pic?) so that I can locate respective bits of the breather system which may need cleaning out etc?

Thank so Much

Graham

ChrisB
Jul 19th, 2003, 17:46
Worth checking the breathers. Main one is from the front of the engine, big black thing sticking out below the throttle, then a pipe leading from that to the air pipe before the turbo.

Sadly idle smoke that clears on driving is usually turbo seals on their way out. 70-90K miles is generally the normal lifetime of the turbo. Reconditioning cost me £180 I think it was. That turbo did about 5K miles till the car was written off and is going spare if you're intersted (got the whole engine).

Peter Milnes
Jul 20th, 2003, 01:03
When we changed the bottom half of a Ford 6 cylinder diesel from a coach, we forgot to change the turbo. At idle everything was fine but as soon as we drove away it laid down a smoke screen better than a WWII battleship!! That was because the turbo bearings had been knackered by crap from the bores when the engine overheated and seized due to a cracked cylinder liner. So unfortunately it isnot always the turbo bearings that are responsible for a smokey idle. I would have gone for the PCV system myself although that becomes evident when the car is driven more than being at idle. The most likely reason for a smokey idle is that the sump is overfull with oil.

All the best, Peter

tim960
Jul 31st, 2003, 19:42
Hi I had the same problem on my GPZ750 Turbo (Motorcycle) and it was down to the seals on the turbo bearings, I guess this was a miniture turbo in comparison to a coach engine, but boy could it pump out the smoke,

sorry, Tim.