PDA

View Full Version : 440 CD 2.0i Auto (1995) Speedo and Alarm problems.

sergei
Jul 15th, 2003, 21:32
Hi,
This is my first post in this forum, so i might be repeating questions already asked and answered.

My starter motor died on me recently, and i had it replaced in my local garage. When driving home, i've noticed that my speedo needle lying dead.. I took the car straight back to the garage as i thought that they forgot to attach the cable to gearbox..
They run the checks and suspected problem with electronic pick-up so they have changed it.. NO luck.. still dead..

Any solutions to this or any hints as i do not want them to take it apart again..

Also, alarm is behaving funny. When driving, the red light keeps falshing...

Any more info do you need from me, any codes from trip computer or something??

Regards,

Dan F
Jul 16th, 2003, 10:54
Hi.

Red light flashing on the dash means a fault on the system, get it checked at a dealer. If they cannot recify it thay can disable the alarm and leave the immobiliser running.
It is the sirens that tend to break on the 400 alarms. V expensive unless you can find one at a breakers and get the dealer to recode it to your car.

As for the speedo, make sure the cable is properly installed into the gearbox and that the cable hasn't seized. £20 for a new cable but then it is the fitting.

The only speedos on 400s that are electronic are on the cars that have the info centre installed.

Hope that helps a little.

Cheers,
Dan.

sergei
Jul 16th, 2003, 20:05
Thanks for the info.

I have the info centre installed, which means that speedo is electric.. Also, i have a new sensor and wire running from gearbox to ECU. Could it be a loose cable somewere as i was messing about behind glove compartment while car was immobile without the starter motor..

Can you recommend any manulas for electronic systems in 400 series??

Thanks,

Serg

Dan F
Jul 17th, 2003, 09:38
Volvo sell workshop manuals for their cars but they are expensive.
The Haynes manuals have decent electrical diagrams in the back so perhaps one of these would do the trick for you.

I would check all connections (behind the dash) and fuses next if I were you.

Cheers,
Dan.

sergei
Jul 18th, 2003, 21:01
Fuses and relays are all OK..
Will look behind the glove compartment during weekend..

Cougar 27
Jul 23rd, 2003, 09:51
Unsure if your speedo is exactly the same as the 480's but I had the same problem with mine. I ended up re-soldering all the connections on the circuit board behind the unit .... Arrhh ! not an easy job.