PDA

View Full Version : opti-smell

JimAitken
Jul 27th, 2003, 13:14
Anyone else have this problem ?.... if I use Shell Optimax in my 1989 480 turbo (non-catelyser), then I get a strong smell of fuel following me around the countryside. No spills or overfilling and no leaks are obvious. No smoke or mis-firing or any other detrimental symptoms. Back to normal unleaded and the smell disappears !

Jim

EmpzB
Jul 27th, 2003, 18:53
Follow all your fuel lines from the tank to the carb and make sure that all the rubber hoses are in good condition, not hard and cracked, all the hose clips are tight and any hard lines are not corroded, it only takes a pinhole to give a strong smell. It is possible after 13 years that you need to renew your fuel lines and the work you've had done has opened up a crack in a hardened line

JimAitken
Jul 30th, 2003, 18:12
thanks... traced the problem to a loose(ish) connection on the pressure regulator.

JimAitken
Aug 12th, 2003, 15:31
finally solved it... I noticed that the vent pipe from the petrol tank went into the rear bumper. I took the bumper off expecting to see a carbon canistor but there was nothing. I checked a scrapped car at my local scrappie and the vent tube on that car was simply strapped to the filler tubes. I did the same on my car and the smell has gone.