PDA

View Full Version : 480 Turbo Gauge

Daniel M
Jul 27th, 2003, 18:27
Hi People...
I have a question. My Dad has a 1991 480 1.7 Turbo-it is pretty much faultless, with the exception of the Turbo gauge. When he sticks his foot down, regardless of how warm the engine is, the needle never gets more than half way-it never reaches the red band at the top. Our 440 Turbo was not like this, you could take it to the red band with ease (and subsequently leave everything eating it`s dust!!). Does this mean the turbo is not operating at it`s full potential, or perhaps the gauge is faulty? Does anybody share a similar problem, or have experience with this? Any help appreciated.

Cheers, Dan

graham_m
Aug 7th, 2003, 08:52
hi Dan
i may be way out here but we had a simmaler problem with a rs turbo and found the actuator to be at fault like i said i might be way out but its worth a check
graham

Peter Milnes
Aug 7th, 2003, 22:37
That's the wastegate actuator which is a turbo pressure fed air motor which operates the wastegate thus restricting boost. The actuator rod may have come adrift or the wastegate itself is not sealing properly. You could also have a leak in the pressure connection from the turbo outlet to the inlet manifold (possibly through an intercooler).

All the best, Peter

davebslater(uk)
Aug 8th, 2003, 00:09
you shouldnt be near the red mark on the gauge as std , about halfway is normal , just under the red section is considered safe for everyday normal use , that 440 must have had some sort of leak before the actuator or was indeed played with