PDA

View Full Version : Attention! Engine Problem...

Daniel M
Aug 11th, 2003, 19:26
Hi All...

Im a tad concerned-my 440 had a bit of a hard life before she met me, and despite only having 64k on the clock, she was in a bad way. All seems to be well, apart from one annoying thing.

The big black rubber tube that comes off the inlet manifold and runs to the air filter box, has about halfway along, a blue plug poking into it. Upon removing this blue plug, you can see it is attached to a little black cone type thing with a series of holes in. I think it`s only the multipoint engines which have this. I seem to recall on my last 440, that if this "plug" became a little dirty, the rev`s would fluxuate, and the same also if it was pulled out. I also seem to remember that if you put your finger over the hole where the plug came from, it would suck your finger to it, like a mini vacuum. With this 440, which is a 2.0i B20f engine, it doesn`t do a thing... If you pull the plug out, nothing-no fluxuating rev`s or anything. What i want to know, is what is supposed to happen? It`s as if it doesn`t even need to be there, but i know it does. Im not even sure as to what it does anyway. I`ve checked my Haynes manual, and can`t find anything. So, any help appreciated-even if it`s only to tell me what the plug is supposed to do.

Cheers, Dan.

graham_m
Aug 12th, 2003, 21:44
Hi Dan i am in the same boat i have a 440 gli 1990 g plate and i have had some problems with the engine trying to die at low revs so i like yourself thought ummmmmm what is this for so i pulled it out and nothing happened and it didnt try to suck my finger over the hole.
I have been told its a air pressure sensor
Regards
Graham

revop
Jan 25th, 2007, 15:38
i looked in my haynes manual. and page 4b.6 has it on there, apparently its the air inlet temperature sensor. mine doesnt suck your finger in either though?

regards

penguin440
Jan 25th, 2007, 20:56
hello, i had a 440 2.0 si auto, with the b20f engine, i had major probs with mine at first, after changing/substituting various parts you could do with checking the following
engine dying at low revs could be down to a faulty idle control valve, this can cause hunting problems too (revs going up and down), another unrelated fault can be blocked breather hoses, split vacuum hoses and check out the manifold absolute pressure sensor, located in front of the relay box (engine bay). also, choked or even blocked fuel filter, bad air filter. all possible faults but not necessarily all faulty. hope this helps