PDA

View Full Version : Wheels

mikefrew
Aug 16th, 2003, 09:04
Hi everyone, new here but great forum.
I have a '95 440 li, which I want to put alloys on, apart from price are there any performance issues I should consider. Looking at either 15, 16, or 17'.
Thanks for any help,
Mike

Dave M
Aug 16th, 2003, 18:44
I have a nice set of Wolfrace 5 Spoke, With Dish and Firestone Firehawk Tyres for sale that are for a 440. They are almost like new and are the correct pattern for the 440. The are 15" Rims if that's any help?}(

It's personal preference as to what size of wheel and tyre to fit to the vehicle, It can take 17's may even go as far as 18's but beware, the larger the rim the smaller the sidewall and it's that that protects the car/rim and makes for a comfortable ride. My father opted to remain the same rolling radius as was on the car so that he could use his existing tyres, but instead he bought a new car hence why the wheels are for sale. I can post an image of the wheels if you wish, I'm loking for £200 for them and I'm located in Scotland, although I travel the M6 a bit :D

Regards
Dave M

Daniel M
Aug 17th, 2003, 01:38
Hi...

Wheels is always a tough one-not only can they "make or break" the car`s looks, they can also break the bank balance! Obviously, 15`s are gonna suit the budget a treat, but sometimes a budget sucks.

With regards to performance-i`m not sure how much difference it make`s. I had my 440 lowered, then alloy`s came a week later, so it was kinda one extreme to the other-soft, spongey springs on skinny 14`s to spinetesting suspension and 17`s! If you can afford it, 18`s would be v.cool, but you need to be able to afford the work to go with it. You would def. need arches rolling (i think they average price round here is bout £30-£35 a corner), and the tyre`s will be more expensive when replacing them too. I think when i was looking about, someone mentioned that the fuel line is quite exposed at the rear of the car too, and caution must be used because the tyres could rub a hole in it. I debated 18`s, but all these things came to light. Im on 17`s now-and they are ok. They fill the arches nicely. There is a tiny bit of scrubbage on the front wheels on full lock (but clear of the arch lips-wheels rub on the inside), and there can be quite a bit at the rear-even with just two people in it (you can see on the inside wall of the arch a shiny patch where the wheels have rubbed off all the grit!!), but i have lowered the car 40mm. If you intened on leaving the car at it`s current ride level, you may be ok.

I did however, have some bad luck with some rust...the arches were very poorly maintained by previous idiots, i mean owners, and had rusted. I didn`t realise, but everytime i went over a bump, it scrubbed and the sharp bits of rust gouged a groove all way round the tyre. So, with alot of patience and courage, i took the wheels off and chopped the (remaining) arch lips off with an angle grinder. So even with 17`s, you may need a bit of rear archwork-if you are technically proficient, you could do it yourself.

Sorry-went off on one a bit there! ;) If money is an issue, perhap`s 16`s would be the better option. Im not sure. But 17`s are def. cool! I think that 16`s are a safe option-if it`s head turning your after, the bigger wheels usually get more attention (but some can look crap), but for practicality, smaller ones are going to cause you alot less hassle in the long run. It`s always a tough descision!! I think bigger, wider wheels cause more friction too, so obv. more surface contact, so maybe a tad slower...i haven`t noticed it though!}(

Hope thats been a little help... :P

Dan