PDA

View Full Version : 440 radiator

graham_m
Aug 19th, 2003, 18:41
hi all my 1990 440 gli has a leaking radiator and i was wondering since i have to get a new one if there was a bigger one i could get to fit as the one in there seems to small.I know it has been hot weather but surly my temp needle shouldnt live up near the top and my fan is working over time. if not what would you say the best make radiator is, i am far from rich so the cheaper the better.
Graham

pettaw
Aug 19th, 2003, 21:28
The old one was most probably clogged up with rusty bits and all sorts before it rusted through. So not working properly.

Get a good one from someone you trust, inspect carefully and flush it through with a hose, making sure no rusty coloured water comes out.

Also might be worth changing the thermostat.

Andy

graham_m
Aug 19th, 2003, 22:22
thanks for that mate i never thought of that :) i will see what my local scrappy has for me
Graham

Dan F
Aug 20th, 2003, 11:20
Hi.

The earlier injected cars had smaller radiators as they were fitted with auxiliary cooling pumps.

The carb version of the car, as with the later injected cars with no aux pump, (1.6i excluded I think) have a bigger radiator.
You could fit this sort but it would probably make the car run too cold.

One thing to watch with the cars with the 'half width' radiators, is that the plastic blanking piece to the left of the radiator has a tendancy to pop out and let water through onto the spark plugs making the car misfire. Usually just snapping it back into place will cure it.

Later,
Dan.

graham_m
Aug 20th, 2003, 17:17
thats the one the half size one i cant afford a new rad at the moment so i used some of that leak fix stuff and it seems ok for the time being anyway i found where it is leaking from it is the right of the rad looking from the front of the car, there seems to be a metal or plastic capping covering the whole side of the radiator cliped in place with little finger things ? water is comming from the 3rd finger down :(
Graham

graham_m
Aug 31st, 2003, 23:39
OK time to buy a new one its now leaking like a goodun :(.

terrastudios
Sep 23rd, 2003, 15:02
Hey,
If your still looking for one - 440 radiator on ebay do a search for volvo 440 - someones broken one and put some parts on it.

Cheers.

graham_m
Sep 24th, 2003, 01:48
thanks for the info mate :) i bought one now but i will go have a look for some central locking door motors
regards Graham

terrastudioswrk
Sep 24th, 2003, 12:56
hey graham,
i wouldnt pay too much for the motors - my 440 didnt have central locking and i picked up a 4 door locking kit for about 50-60 notes - you might be better off ripping the original locking system out and replacing with a whole new one - took me best part of the morning to do - hardest part is attaching the actuators to the metal locking rod.
if you decide to go down this route i got the kit from www.directcarparts.co.uk

cheers and hths.

matt.

graham_m
Sep 25th, 2003, 09:55
Thanks terrastudioswrk great info ordering the parts today :)
Graham

terrastudioswrk
Sep 25th, 2003, 11:28
No problemo - the only problem i had (i think i said in above post) - was attaching the actuators to the existing volvo rods (fiddly and ive not got much patience) - wirings dead easy if you get the 4 door kit you get two actuators with 4 cables and two with two (the back doors dont detect the up/down motion which triggers the other actuators to move as such) - ive since installed (well recently) an alarm -> central locking interface (doors lock when armed, unlock when not) - so if you need info on this give me a shout, as ive already figured out which cables which to the microscan central locking system on directcarparts.

George Holmer
Sep 25th, 2003, 11:43
You do realise that you do not need to rip the old system out, I presume... these are two wire motors same as Volvo uses and will work fine with the system already in there.

George

[link:www.ttsservices.co.uk/my%20volvos.htm|http://www.ttsservices.co.uk/My%20car.JPG]

'95 940 Polar LPT (B230FK/AW71; 130k)
'92 940 SE Turbo (B200FT/M46; 150k)
'87 740 GLE Turbo Diesel Intercooler (D24TIC/ZF22; 210k)

terrastudioswrk
Sep 25th, 2003, 11:50
Cant see that working somehow, the front actuators need two cables for the up / down detection (so the controller knows to move the other actuators) - and two cables for the actuator to actually move (if i remember correctly its a simple ones grounded ones +12 then polaritys swapped so ground goes to 12 and 12 goes to ground).

Simply putting the two existing cables on would give you the movement but what about the detection? The only way i can see this working is if volvo central locking uses a different method of detecting when to move the actuators?

I fitted the above kit to a car without factory fitted central locking so im not 100% how the standard volvo system works.

HTH

Matt.