PDA

View Full Version : tow bars

xc90er
Mar 21st, 2006, 21:49
Hi,
Anyone fitted a towbar to their xc90? Is it better to go for a volvo own £££ brand or a halford one? What does the standard "tow bar preparation" mean? IS the electrics already fitted under the bumper?

Thanks guys.

tedm
Mar 22nd, 2006, 09:10
Hi,
I had a Witter towbar fitted a couple of years ago at a local towbar fitters in Chester. Work cost about £300 and was a good job.

Volvo towbar is good an removable which is nice, but it's expensive as usual.

Witter towbar is also removable and at least as good as Volvo.

Not sure about Halford but I'd be a little wary. Main thing is to have it fitted by pro's as it's easily possible to mess up the wiring if not done properly with the correct parts.

Wiring is built into the car but if you get it wrong car will not start!

Check out you rlocal towbar fitters and ask for a witter removable bar.

DCO
Mar 22nd, 2006, 13:59
As I was buying a new vehicle, and being a wimp, I opted for the Volvo detachable bar on the basis that if anything went wrong, it had to be the dealers fault! Although any competent fitter should be able to cope with the XC90, if there were problems, you might find one party trying to blame another. Some tings would be obvious, but if it was somehow wired incorrectly, you may find it affecting something that appeared unrelated to the tow bar. Who then pays for the time spent tackling the problem when the effect is found to have been caused by the tow bar fitment?

Conversely, if the vehicle is already out of warranty, then I would probably opt for the Witter, although it would depend how much I was saving. If you get a quote from the dealer, try and negotiate a better price. You may find that the eventual saving on a third party bar is not worth it in respect of your peace of mind!

xc90er
Mar 22nd, 2006, 20:22
As I was buying a new vehicle, and being a wimp, I opted for the Volvo detachable bar on the basis that if anything went wrong, it had to be the dealers fault! Although any competent fitter should be able to cope with the XC90, if there were problems, you might find one party trying to blame another. Some tings would be obvious, but if it was somehow wired incorrectly, you may find it affecting something that appeared unrelated to the tow bar. Who then pays for the time spent tackling the problem when the effect is found to have been caused by the tow bar fitment?

Conversely, if the vehicle is already out of warranty, then I would probably opt for the Witter, although it would depend how much I was saving. If you get a quote from the dealer, try and negotiate a better price. You may find that the eventual saving on a third party bar is not worth it in respect of your peace of mind!

Cheers. I'll get a quote for the witter tow bar and see how far i get with the dealer.